Moving outdoors in August/September?

OkiDoki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Does anyone know if guinea pigs can still move outside in August/September (and then stay outside in winter)? I read somewhere that they should move outdoors in Spring only, so that they get used to living outside and can develop thicker fur for winter.
I'm looking to rehome one of my piggies, as she doesn't get on with my group. She can go to someone I know at the end of August, but would have to move outside. She (and her new group) will have a kind of warming plate in their hutch in winter.

How going out at the end of summer is going to affect them depends on the temperatures and the changes that occur

Ideally they are put outside at the beginning of summer as it is warm enough at night time. They are then used to being outside by the time autumn starts and temperatures come down and they go through the change gradually.
Going out in autumn when it can then be chilly at night almost immediately is where they will find it harder as they haven’t had a gradual decline in temperatures. Warm house constant temperature to warm autumn daytime outside and then suddenly chilly night in night one is where they find it hard.

If your friend has the ability to keep the hutch warm enough when it is cooler outside then the effect of temperature change can be reduced.

Back