• I have no idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

asiakaree91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I recently got my piggys about... hmm... 2 months ago. Well my boyfriend and I have been in our apartment roughly a year. However, just in the past couple weeks our shower needed to be fixed three times (pipes froze then busted), then our furnace completely died! (It was -30 degrees out with the windchill.(not sure what it is in Celsius) ) EVERYTHING in our apartment froze. Our toilet water, sink pipes, and even the olive oil in our pantry! haha it was warmer in our fridge! Thankfully I had a little space heater with the boys (I like a cold house but I don't want them to be cold so they're always at a comfortable temp) so they were nice and toasty while me and my boyfriend froze. (I wouldnt let my boyfriend steal the heater! haha).

Anyways, we decided (and my mother demands) that we break our lease and find a different apartment because this is awful. If I hadn't had that space heater the cold could've killed my boys! :( Unfortunately that means we have to move into my parents house until we have enough money to afford a new apartment. (Should only be about 2 months or less). The part I need advice with is, though my mom is fine with me having guinea pigs, even though she thinks guinea pigs are stinky animals, she is not ok with floor time. They would have to remain in the cage at all times. They have a large cage, plenty of room for them to run around but I always give them floor time at least once or twice a day. I'd feel so guilty! I don't have much choice in the matter... and I wouldn't want to give my boys up... I had no idea this would happen when I got them. Should I just move in with my mom and keep the boys in their cage? Just stick with my crappy apartment? Or try and find my boys another home (which I REALLY don't want to do...) I keep thinking oh... its only 2 months... but that's not fair to my boys... I really don't know what to do at this point!

If the cage is big enough, stick with it! Otherwise, get a cheap run and use a plastic shower curtain for flooring etc. for a confined, foldable run that won't mess up your mum's flat as a compromise. Other members can point you better in that direction than I.

I am so sorry about your problem; it can't have been fun, especially in the last week!

So sorry for your situation.If the cage is large and only for a couple of months and putting a run up for floortime isn't an option I would still keep hold of them.It is only short term

I think for a couple of months your health is more important. Just slowly make their cage larger when no one is looking,:D I'm sure they will still love you.

Oh you poor things. Your post brought back so many crappy memories of the flat i rented when i just left university, damp and freezing! Honestly i would just make do with the cage while you stay with your mum. Its only temporary. X

Thank you guys! I'm feeling little less guilty for taking away floor time (though I may be able to make a little floor time area that could be easily cleaned and wont mess up my moms house) and hopefully we will be out and in a new home asap! :) thanks for all your help! This forum has really saved my butt! My mom thinks I'm crazy for the lengths I go for my guinea pigs. She thinks feeding them veggies 2x daily, weighing them, buying them little toys, etc makes me a crazy rodent lady hahaha I brought them over until our furnace was "fixed" (apparently it can die at any time since they put in the wrong part but they don't want to order the right one until we need it again), and my mom was astounded that I brought the whole cage! She thought they'd be fine in a cardboard box, they're just 'rodents' after all as she says.

She thinks the boys live better than me and my boyfriend! XD She just doesn't understand that alot of people don't know how to properly care for a guinea pig... I made sure when I got them that I knew exactly what they'd need to be healthy and happy. :) If that makes me a crazy rodent lady then oh well haha.

You are in good company here... :hug:

Best of luck with your search for a new, better looked after flat!

Give your mum time, piggies tend to win over even the hardest of hearts. The lady who cleans our house was horrified when she first realised there were "rodents" living in the dining room, chucking poos and hay out of their cage and onto the neatly hoovered floor. She thought I was mad when she saw their fleece washing drying in the garage. Now the first thing she does when she arrives is to go in and have a chat with them and see whether they have any new cage wares! We're all mad about our piggies on here

Yes, there wasn't a gas leak or anything. The furnace works, if the part doesn't work the guy says it will just shut off. If it goes off again we will just go back up and stay with my parents. (They only live 5 minutes away haha) We are moving out by next month. We have ALOT of packing to do. I despise moving haha but I want a house that isn't constantly breaking. :)

If you love your piggies just keep hold of them I could never let go of woody and buzz (my boys) keep them in thier cozy spot and you can bring your blanket into the living room and keep warm.:D

To be honest, our guiney-pigs don't get much floor time since they hate it. They love walking around on our laps and on the settee, but they do not feel secure on our floor at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back