Moving my piggies from cage to a shed

Susye

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Firstly unable to have the piggies in the house.

My two boys are now good friends now housed on one level in hutch.
Now it is colder it is hard to play with the piggies so have brought a 6ft by 4ft playhouse with windows and going to use that and not the hutch ( a lady at work has her piggies like this) so dd2 and I can go in and sit and play with them two or three times a day, they will have so much more room, more human contact and more hidies to explore and play toys.

As I have read they do like different set up of the hutch, can i just set the playhouse with their houses which have their scent on, they are very often together in the biggest hidey and they do squeeze into the smaller hidey's together, each hidy has two entrances, brought two hidey's with only one entrance and have made another entrance in each of them. The big hidey is called ?/ Hut, will be buying another one of those as it is really good.

Playhouse is a good one and the wood is thicker than the hutch, it arrived yesterday and the men are going to put it together this weekend for me, the piggies will be able to watch from their hutch.

Please be kind to me

Yes you can set it up just with their houses.
Don’t forget the shed will still need to be insulated particularly if it cannot be heated.
The floor will need a waterproof layer ie plastic sheeting to protect it, and then to be filled with bedding and hay.

I still have hutches in my shed for my boys because a hutch is much easier to keep warm than an entire shed with all the empty air space.

By way of insulation, staple silver foil insulation to the walls, floor and ceiling and that will really help keep warmth in.

My shed is custom built and has a thicker wood but the insulation makes a huge difference to the warmth in there. We are lucky that our county isn’t a very cold one but it can still get cold enough!

And also, add a kick board or use c&c grids across the bottom of the door particularly if your piggies are free roaming in there to stop them from running out when you open the door.
You will also need a way to secure the hole left just the door when it is open. I have an internal mesh door which I can close so air can still flow freely but piggies are secure when the main solid door is open

Back