Moving guinea pigs from hutch to playpen

GinGinGin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve got two male guinea pigs, each about 5/6 months old. I’ve had them about 2 months and as expected they are extremely skittish and don’t want me to pick them up. I’m working on bonding and they will now accept veg from my hand which is a good start!

They live outside in a big two storey hutch but they also have a playpen which I want them to go onto on a daily basis for extra exercise. Until now I’ve been struggling to get them out of the hutch and then back into it - it’s stressful for them and me having to chase them to catch them. I know they don’t like it. So I’m wondering if I should leave the playpen for now and just keep them in their hutch until they trust me more. I just worry that they won’t get enough exercise from being in their hutch all the time and am asking on here in case anyone has some advice please?

Many thanks!

Hello I know what you mean - my two boys were just like your piggies - I put a piece of coriander in a travel carrier and let them hop in - one at a time - they soon got the hang of it and knew when the carrier appeared something nice was inside. I used it to get them out of the pen too - Its worth trying

Last edited:
I did the same thing as roselina for my two oldest boys. They voluntarily walk into a carrier now.

My two youngest are much more friendly and more willing to be stroked etc but I have to corner them to get them out of their cage!

Little Miss Piggy loves lap time but she would still run and squeal whenever I went to pick her up, so now I herd her into this tunnel and pick the whole tunnel up. Now she associates the tunnel with cuddles and will just go straight for it ☺️

Back