Mounting

Joannabegg1997

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My youngest gp is about 7 months old, we have had him since January with my eldest who I believe to be over the age of 3. My youngest has been mounting my eldest to the point he is shoving him in the corner and almost knocking him over. My eldest always tries to get away and has never bit him, only threatens him. I’m at a complete loss and have had to separate them for the second time... I try to put them back together as Floyd (the youngest) is clearly crying out for Rasta (the eldest) but when I put them back together Floyd goes back to rumble strutting and mounts him quite aggressively. They are both boys and have no intention on getting them neutered as I read that doesn’t make a difference. I haven’t got anything to separate them down the middle and so they can still see each other so I have had to put Rasta in the top part of my hutch.

Mounting and rumblestrutting are normal dominance behaviours so please don't separate them. Does your older pig squeal? If so that is submission and not pain. The teenage months are a hormonal time for piggies (both sexes), and at 7 months the first hormone surge occurs. There will be about 2-3 more in that time frame and you have to ride it out, unless there are real signs of bullying. Have a read of the threads below and see what is normal and what isn't. When you introduce them again make sure you do it on neutral ground. Also make sure to thoroughly clean out their cage (and move things around) before you put them back in.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Back