Mounting- piggy on heat

Laura_Deakin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question to see if anyone has any ideas.. my piggy Oreo keeps mounting my other piggy caramel and causing a lot of squeaking and distress, this has happened before and caramel has actually had an abscess because Oreo nipped her.. does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this? I think Oreo is on heat atm and that’s why.. normally they get on perfectly fine! I don’t really want to separate them as they get very distressed! Any ideas appreciated 🤗

How long has Oreo been presenting as being in heat for?

I was expecting you to say younger with that behaviour. Have they always been together and is this new? Has she been checked for cysts? I don't know if you've seen this.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Yeah they’ve been together since day one! And this has happened before, she just gets aggressive every now and again, I took them both to the vets a month ago or so and they said they both are fine, but if this continues I’ll have to get them checked again. She was popcorning tonight when I put a box in their pen to chew on, so I think it’s probably just dominance behaviour.. Thanks!

Back