• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

More stones for Babs

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

A few weeks ago Babs had some bladder stones removed by surgery. Well that still didn't seem to stop her squeaking when weeing and there was blood in her urine. So took her back to vet last week and he put her on some different antibiotics and gave her a strong painkiller. Well, when I got her home I was giving her a bath to clean her up as she had wet her fur and she suddenly let out a massive squeak when I touched her genitals. Then I noticed there was something rough sticking out. So I looked more closely and found another bladder stone sticking out of her urethra. Goodness knows how she passed it, it was so big! So I eased it out with tweezers and she immediately weed - I think she was so relieved the blockage was gone.

So back to the vets she went and she had very alkaline urine which apparently is bad for someone who forms stones so quickly. So I am having to give her a diuretic every other day and add some Vit C (ascorbic acid) to the water in the hope it will make her wee more acidic. It is all very worrying though cos I am worried in case we don't catch the next stone in time. At least I am on high alert now. Poor Babs. She has also lost approximately 200g in weight since the operation, even though she eats normally. I don't know what else I can do for her. Has anybody else had probs with bladder-stone prone pigs?

Also Bree is suffering from cystitis that is resistant to antibiotics (both Baytril and Septrin) so she is now having the Cartrophen anti-inflammatory injections as these seemed to work for Babs in the past when she had her UTIs.

Arrrrghhhhh troublesome pigs. I just wish I knew how to help them

Alex x

Hi i'm sorry i've not had that problem but i'm sure someone with that experience will help you.
We'll keep our paws crossed for you all, you do have your handsful :( :(
We hope little Babs and Bree get better quickly :-* :-*

aww poor piggies... and poor you too! good luck for you and your babies!

awww poor girls hope they get better soon never had this problems (so far) but do hope you get it sorted thtaw as amazing you actually saw the stone sticking out poor little thing

Thank you for all your kind messages. It means a lot to me! Poor Babs has been straining and wheeking a lot when weeing over the last couple of days so my suspicion is that she may have more stones that've formed that are too big to make their way out. She has an appointment tomorrow with the vet so shall see what he recommends. Can't bear to see her in pain although she seems to still enjoy life as much as she can. I really hope he can help her. I can't help feeling that we are reaching the end of the road with her and that she won't make it throught anymore operations. Still we shall have to keep everything crossed for her. My lovely Lady Babs. Bless her - she has handed over her Matriarch reins to Boris now (haha). I think she knows she is not up to being boss anymore. It is such a shame to see her go down the pecking order. I like Bossy Babs - bring her back :)

Hello

Just to let you know that Babs and Bree went back to the vets on Friday. It was good news as urine analysis showed that Babs' wee is getting more acidic with a high dose of vit c in the water - means conditions aren't so suitable for the stones to form. Yay! Anyway, I am to continue with the diuretic with her, extra vit C and give Septrin and Metacam as still blood in wee and she is still wheeking. Well I am happy to report that over the last couple of days she seems to be passing her urine with little pain (touch wood)! Also because she has lost some weight I am to try and build her up with extra food - can't hear any complaints from Babs on that one ;D

As for Bree - she had her Cartrophen injection. Apparently these build up over time so hope she stops wheeking when weeing very soon.

Must say I was very pleased with the outcome of the trip. Feels like we've finally turned a corner with them - especially Babs.

Alex x

I'm pleased all went well at the vets. We have recently had problems with one of our boars witha bladder stone. We were recommended to give Cranberry juice as this is not only acidic but also contains something which helps to stop stones forming. Neither of our pigs will drink Cranberry juice on its own though so we dilute it 50-50 with water and they take it quite happily.

Yes the vet also recommended cranberry juice. But it has to be the pure stuff you get from health food shops and not Ocean Spray etc as full of sugar and not acidic enough. So I plan to go the health food place near work and pic some up. Apparently it is very sour - poor Babs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back