• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Montys teeth probs again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Poor Monty is struggling to eat again, looks like it will be another trip to the vet, his teeth were filed last time and he recovered fine until now. I'm really worried as Mars had the same problem a few weeks ago and he died as the vet could see nothing wrong. :'( :'(

Just wondering, as although his teeth were filed last time, the vet said that she didnt think it was the cause of him not eating and he had baytril for 2 weeks after, do you think this could have made him recover, if possibly it was a throat or mouth infection? I have some baytril at home and not sure whether to give him some before seeing the vet.

Does Monty take the food as if he is hungry,then drop it or just pick at it>.When he eats is the jaw movement normal>Teeth can overgrow again very quickly,so it would be best to get the vet to recheck.Often there can be a spur on the molars which is very easy to overlook,your vet needs to have a very thorough look round the mouth.

It might be malloclusion-or he might just be missing Mars :'(
That can stop them eating
So sorry about Mars :'(
Sleep tight little one 0:)

The vet would see a mouth or throat infection (or should). I agree with Mary that there's still something up with the teeth. Have a look along the side of the tongue for little dots, this can sometimes indicate spurs on that side (they may be on the other). At the end of the day, as Mary says, your vet needs to look thoroughly round the mouth and treat properly.

He does take the food as if hes hungry and just drops it. He opens his mouth wide half way through munching as though hes got a pain at the back of his mouth. I'll get him to the vet asap and see what they say.

Very possibly fungal mouth infection. Does he scratch at his mouth too?

I'm sorry to hear this love, how sad for you, you've been thru enough lately :'( :'(
Have you been weighing Monty? do you know if he's lost much weight?
If unsure weigh now and also at night for the next few days. In the mean time if unsure you could feed by syringe or spoon if he'll take it, some mushed up pellets which are really good for them in nutrients etc... other than that you could try pureeing some fruits as a slushy mix as well and also cutting up the veggies etc.. into smaller pieces.
All the very very best love, i know how you're feeling it's not easy, but keep on trying and offering as many treats as possible and as often as possible O0

awww hun, i'm sorry to hear this. :'( you've certainly been thru it a bit. he may just be lonely or it may be teeth or fungal infection. yaeh i'd definitely take him to the vet for a good check up, and weigh him to see how much weight he's lost. you could try syringe feeding with mushed up pellets and water, or as Glynis said pureed (sp?) fruits/veggies. also as Glynis has said try him with treats, he may just go for them. :-\ hope he's feeling lots better soon. Big hugs for you and him. let us know how you get on. :) :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

This is almost certainly a mouth/teeth/throat problem.Daktarin oral gel is good for fungal infections.The dose is a pea size blob straight into the mouth,3 times a day.Hold the piggy for at least 5 mins.after giving the gel to make sure he does not put anything into his mouth.The gel needs time to melt round the soft tissues.

I still think you need to see a piggy savvy vet though.The vet needs to use buccal pad seperators to look round the mouth properly.It is not possible to find spurs etc,with a otoscope,which is what some vets tend to use for mouth exams.

Hi all, thanks so much for your advice its really appreciated. I took Monty to the vet this morning and she said it was spurs on his back teeth and also they werent growing straight so he had an anaesthetic again and got it sorted. I think hes alright now, hes certainly eating more so thats good. Apparently I will need to go back every few months to get this done. I was then charged £72 which I couldnt believe and said I cant afford that every few months (as I have 9 others too) and she checked again and said no sorry I meant £45 lol bit of a difference! Anyway hopefully its sorted for now, just wondering if theres anything I can give him to gnaw on?

Why6 does your vet keep using aneasthetic?,it is not necessary.If Monty has to have his teeth cut on a regular basis,he cannot keep on having aneasthetic.
£45 is a bit steep for dental work,my vet only charges about £6 - £12 depending on how much work she has to don on the teeth.
The best thing for him to chew on is good quality hay.

Where abouts is your vet? I dont think anaesthetic is good for Monty, especially every few months

Where are you. My vet is in Epsom,Surrey.There are good vets in Reading and Scarborough,and some other forum members have good vets.

Anaesthetic as a one off for dentals is not so bad but it will take its toll on his heart if you have it done regularly. There is also a vet in Maidenhead Berkshire doing teeth without anaesthetic. Again, as Mary has said, anaesthetic is unnecessary.

I live in Fareham, I really need to find someone local I can take him to

I don't know of anyone I'm afraid. I do know our vets have clients in Hampshire and Southampton. We're near trains and the vets is only a bus ride from the station. How is he now?

awww glad to hear you've got to the bottom of it. :) :smitten: :smitten: how is he today? (((hugs))))

Hiya, hes fine now, he seemed to recover very well after the anaesthetic and dived straight into his food bowl when he got home! I just wish I could find another vet to sort his teeth out every few months without anaesthetic, I will have to do some research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back