• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Monty's looking very thin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Over the last week Monty has been looking very skinny, especially today, hes hardly touched his carrots and brocolli :-\ Ive checked his teeth and they are fine, I wonder whats wrong with him?

I havent done no, just weighed him and hes 1355g, I dont know what that means lol but I will keep checking daily. He is quite a big piggie so he must have weighed a lot more. He is 3 years old.

wow! my 1yr old boar weighs 1100g ;D and my pergnant lady wiehgs 1kg!

he is a big fella ;D

Moniter his weight for a while, if you notice a big frop in weight maybe take him to the vets?
Not 100% on that so amybe someone else can double check that ;D

His weight sems fine, just keep an eye on him and if it keeps dropping take him to the vets. :)

it is probably his back teeth that you need a special instrument to be able to see them properly I'd get the vet to check him out for you,

I personally would just weigh him for the next couple of days and see if he is losing weight each day. If so get him down the vets. :)

Sounds like teeth, back molars, to me only because i go thru this regularly with our little man :(
If he's not eating firm veggies or his pellets as much it's worth a trip to the vets, you can't see that far back in his mouth, as Michelle said. Pop along to the vets a little check up wont hurt :)

It sounds like the little lad really needs the vets.

Piggies don't lose condition like this for no reason so please take him and get him checked over.

Ill take him Monday, hes been ok today, I changed his food and I think he likes it better than the other lot! Hes also eaten his veggies today I'm pleased to say. I will take him just to be sure though.

Agree with Glynis and Kate (Starshine).

I learnt this the hard way. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I am pleased to say the vet found nothing wrong, just said to keep an eye on him over the next few days and monitor his weight. He still seems more grumpy than his usual self but I think changing his food has definately helped his weight. I am giving them all Allen and Page food and they love it!

Brilliant news that Monty is O.K. and that the vet found nothing wrong with him. O0

Just been to check on the piggies this morning and Monty was the only one that didnt come out of his sleeping area to say hello :-\ eventually he came out and I gave him a dandilion leaf and he struggled to eat it, I also noticed he had left carrot in his bowl from the night before. Ive had a look in his mouth but cant see anything, I will have to take him to the vets, only prob is I cant get there until Saturday morning as I am working :( I hope he will be ok. Any advice?

Syringe feed him some mushed up pellets, or pureed veggies or pureed fruits and make sure he's got plenty of fresh hay and water :)
Awww poor little boy i hope the vet gets to the bottom of this for you soon :(

Poor Monty. I would do the same as Glynis, try and see if he will eat pureed/mashed up food, if not then syringe feed. :)

Thanks I will try that. I gave him some cucumber this morning and he couldnt eat it, I had to break it into tiny pieces and that seemed to work. He couldnt even press down his teeth to bite my finger so I'm guessing hes probably got an absess or something at the back of his mouth. :-\ Also he tried drinking from his bottle but couldnt, that really worries me. :-\

Monty update -

Ive made an appointment with the Vet for Saturday 11.40, wish him luck!
Hes only eating grass at the moment. The side of his face is really swollen so it must be an absess or a tooth infection. Hes a little fighter though and trying his best to keep eating and stay happy

Fingers are crossed and wishing him luck. Let us know what happens. O0

Had a successful trip to the vets today, I had to leave him there for a few hours, when he came round he was like a new piggy! They think it was a problem with his teeth so they got them sorted and also got rid of his sist he had on his leg. Really pleased, just gotta keep an eye on him now and keep syringe feeding him for a week :)

That's brilliant news, hopefully he will be in the best condition possible in no time. Keep us informed. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back