• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Monkey pox and guinea pigs

Roselina

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
In the I newspaper today it states that if a person is infected with monkey pox then any rodent pets( guinea pigs, rats, hamsters and exotic pets) will be removed and quarantined for 21 days by UKHSA ( the UK human and animal infections and risk surveillance ) and only released if they test negative. Dogs and Cats will stay in the infected persons home under house isolation. The UKHSA are concerned monkeypox could be imported and/ or spread to native wildlife.
Do we have any rights ? I would be very loathe to let a government dept look after our guinea pigs, rats, hamsters etc !
With bird flu chickens were kept at home/ barns just unable to go outside.
Very worrying ……

Attachments

• FDED3CB0-AF5D-45D8-9E8B-BDCDA0B5E481.webp
    FDED3CB0-AF5D-45D8-9E8B-BDCDA0B5E481.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 7
Guinea pigs and other rodents could well be a perfect host for monkeypox- and if it becomes established in a native pet population (or wild rat or squirrel population) it will be a big problem, one that won't go away without pass culling.
Bird flu isnt a threat to hums really, just to birds- a different type of scenario.
At present there is no indication any of this has happened or will inevitably happen- its just a precaution being tabled as an eventually and quite proportionate really- but ultimately with a public health threat then public health protection will always take priority over individual rights, like with covid lockdown and mask laws.
Nobody would want to see a mass cull of rodemt pets here like the Chinese did with a wrongly suspected single hamster?
It is unlikely to happen- the government dont have the capacity- but as only under 100 people have monkeypox confirmed and there is no evidence any of them had pet rodents irs all theoretical.
But monkeypox isnt a monkey disease at all, the natural host is rodents, so the caution here is very legitimate- nothing to worry about at this stage unless you are a zoonotic disease outbreak researcher- but, it could possibly be a thing- covid has made everyone very cautious and wanting to plan ahead for every remote possibility, which should be reassuring not threatening!

Also sorry for the typos, rushing to reply because this is an important one to address head on I think- it could really happen, potentially, very unlikely but there was a US monkeypox outbreak a few years ago that got into wild ground squirrels which then infected lots of people. Targeted testing and quarantine of pets with confirmed direct contact, will avoid mass hysteria and a cull, so should be welcomed as a sensible precaution!

Also sorry for the typos, rushing to reply because this is an important one to address head on I think- it could really happen, potentially, very unlikely but there was a US monkeypox outbreak a few years ago that got into wild ground squirrels which then infected lots of people. Targeted testing and quarantine of pets with confirmed direct contact, will avoid mass hysteria and a cull, so should be welcomed as a sensible precaution!
Thank you Pigglepuggle for your concise and reassuring post. I was shocked to read it and felt we all needed to be aware. I appreciate how quickly you replied 👍

I have decided to look at getting vaccinated privately. I very much doubt a number of mine would survive a quarantine away from home, no matter how low the risk may be of my animals being removed into isolation, its not a risk I'm willing to take. Whatever I can do to keep infection out of my household, I will be doing.

I have decided to look at getting vaccinated privately. I very much doubt a number of mine would survive a quarantine away from home, no matter how low the risk may be of my animals being removed into isolation, its not a risk I'm willing to take. Whatever I can do to keep infection out of my household, I will be doing.
If you had the smallpox vaccination as a child ( about 50 + yrs ago ) then you are protected apparently.

If you had the smallpox vaccination as a child ( about 50 + yrs ago ) then you are protected apparently.
I'm too young unfortunately, they stopped giving that out 18 years before I was born (had to check 😅), I was hoping I was already covered by it but apparently not. The rest of the household is though, luckily.

In the I newspaper today it states that if a person is infected with monkey pox then any rodent pets( guinea pigs, rats, hamsters and exotic pets) will be removed and quarantined for 21 days by UKHSA ( the UK human and animal infections and risk surveillance ) and only released if they test negative. Dogs and Cats will stay in the infected persons home under house isolation. The UKHSA are concerned monkeypox could be imported and/ or spread to native wildlife.
Do we have any rights ? I would be very loathe to let a government dept look after our guinea pigs, rats, hamsters etc !
With bird flu chickens were kept at home/ barns just unable to go outside.
Very worrying ……

Hi

Personally, I would not worry but be glad that the government have learned their lesson and are giving thought on how to handle this before it has already become a wide-spread runaway problem.

Established pets pose no risk unless somebody in the household becomes acutely infected and is in very close contact with them (kissing, handling, cage cleaning - don't do the first; always wash/disinfect your hands after any handling/cleaning; use a different towel/lap pad as a washable surface for grooming and handling on your body to protect your own clothing and use gloves for any cleaning in your normal daily hygiene anyway). These normal daily hygiene measures for any pet owners can limit the risk of you passing anything onto your pets in the first place.
Any measures in the actual case of an acute monkey pox infection will have to follow government guideance/protocol for the country you are living in; in this case the wider implications (i.e. causing death or long term problems to other people by passing the infection on) surpass your personal interests. The initial lockdowns in Covid (human to human) while we were without any vaccine protections were the equivalent measure to a potential pet quarantine in affected monkey pox households.

Please keep in mind that monkey pox is much less infectious than Covid and needs prolonged close contact with an infected person or their belongings (like shared bedding or towels) - much more so than with Covid. It is much less likely to spread as widely as Covid but will more likely remain on a level with SARS or MERS - successfully contained pre-Covid pandemics. But of course we are much more jittery in the wake of Covid and some of the press will pander to that.

Should it really become a more widespread problem (in case it somehow spreads to rats or other wild rodents), then an effective smallpox vaccine is already on stand-by for large production so a vaccination campaign would be much more quickly available than with Covid because research into and development of a new vaccine is not needed. Monkey pox is also nowhere near as deadly as Covid, even though it should not be underestimated.

The good news is that in this case a sizeable part of the population that is at higher risk of complications resulting from the infection, the elderly, have actually been vaccinated against smallpox in the mass vaccination campaigns of the 50ies and 60ies before smallpox was declared eradicated and they do have life-long protection from the single vaccination needed. This will also act towards slowing any spread; we are not starting with a zero level of protection as a population, unlike with Covid.

And unlike Covid, a smallpox vaccine is also effective in the early stages of an acute monkey pox infection so it is going to be much easier to get on top of any outbreak, and as a result you are much less likely to ever be directly affected by it.
It is more realistic for the longer term that anybody travelling to or arriving from a country with monkey pox will either have provide proof of a smallpox vaccination or will be given one upon entry into the country in line with other infectious tropical diseases regulations.

You can find our common sense good practice hygiene tips in this guide here, which deals with the practical measures during infectious owner illness and with inter-species transmission. There is quite a bit you can actually do to minimise any potential transmission risks in your normal daily routine: Contagion - Inter-species transmission and pet care during owner illness/pregnancy (incl. Covid)

PS: Please keep in mind that every species-jumping illness needs to be evaluated on its own merits and its own potential transmission risks. The transmission risks and angles are all different in each case.

In the case of bird flu, the measures taken are there to prevent infected migrating birds spreading the flu onto farmed and domestic birds and only secondarily onto humans. In the case of monkey pox, the infection will have to be passed from humans to rodents and then be transmitted back to humans, so it is a very different scenario which requires different measures to break transmission.

Its good that this has been mentioned so we can discuss it here, and give informed advice- @Wiebke has made some excellent points there, monkeypox isnt very infectious human to human at all- not something you could catch at the supermarket or on a train, it's only close family or sexual partners, people you share towels with and kiss and snuggle.
My boss's wife is an expert policy advisor on emerging infectious diseases for the Health Protection Agency, and I've asked her opinion on monkeypox, and we shouldnt be concerned at this stage- just be aware, and limiting the number of people you have intimate contact with should be sufficient to avoid infection.
And if you aren't infected, your pets won't get infected either.
If this did become a problem in pets, then closing petting zoos, requiring licensing and better hygiene standards and accountability for breeders, and bringing in health certificates for pets changing owners, might be measures that the government would consider too- all long overdue measures that would really benefit animal welfare- so nobody should be alarmed.

Also, any quarantine would be done at a high security expert veterinary research facility, where twice daily health checks from a qualified animal care technician, daily cage cleans, and a 24 hour on call vet are mandatory- and the guinea pig pens stipulated by law for those facilities are about 12x6 feet for 4 pigs.
It costs about £80 per animal per day just for basic boarding care in those faciliries- so I cant imagine it would ever be widely used, only at the start until the symptoms and transmission dynamics were better understood.
I imagine this is a top priority research field already, and the situation will evolve fast when the risks are better understood.

I must admit it is a relief to understand what would happen better, given the countries absolutely appalling treatment of dogs seized under the DDA sometimes, I didnt have particularly high expectations for the care recieved by animals that may be taken. I still stand by the stress of such a scenario being too much for some of my elderly or special needs rodents so my plans don't change, but its nice to know they probably won't end up in some badly run facility should the worst happen.

Here is the link to a BBC article discussing the same issue. It also includes links to what monkey pox is exactly and how a monkey pox rash actually looks with pictures: Monkeypox patients should avoid pet contact

I hope that this helps answer some more questions; especially as to how to spot monkey pox pustules at different stages of development. It is fairly distinctive.
You can actually use a lot of the 'ill owners' advice in my contagion thread in the first post for Covid sufferers for monkey pox as well. Most of it is simple practical common sense advice minimising direct contact as much as possible.

Its a good thing if we all stay informed, as the pet rodent community we have a big interest in this- but also stay calm, keep things in proportion, and if the worst should happen stay co-operative and open to constructive dialogue with public health disease control policy advisors- we are a very big community and can probably influence policy if we have constructive suggestions, if our own vets could test piggies for monkeypox, if pets could be vaccinated- we are a very long way off having this or even needing any of this and we probably never will do, but these things are all sensible suggestions that would be cheaper and easier for the government to implement than mass pet quarantine!

Just to add, the best way to avoid any issues for your pets is to avoid any issues yourself- monkey pox isn't airborne, but can be spread by respiratory droplets, by contact with skin lesions, and by fomites (basically something an infected person touches that you later touch as well.) A lot of the things that we did for COVID (masks, hand sanitizer) would be equally or more effective for monkey pox. I think the UK removed masking measures a lot earlier than we did in my province (we only got rid of mandatory masking in April 2022), but plenty of people here are still wearing masks for COVID and I still have hand sanitizer on me all the time... I'll probably keep doing most of those things for awhile yet.

Just to add, the best way to avoid any issues for your pets is to avoid any issues yourself- monkey pox isn't airborne, but can be spread by respiratory droplets, by contact with skin lesions, and by fomites (basically something an infected person touches that you later touch as well.) A lot of the things that we did for COVID (masks, hand sanitizer) would be equally or more effective for monkey pox. I think the UK removed masking measures a lot earlier than we did in my province (we only got rid of mandatory masking in April 2022), but plenty of people here are still wearing masks for COVID and I still have hand sanitizer on me all the time... I'll probably keep doing most of those things for awhile yet.
This all makes perfect sense, I still wear my mask and use sanitizer like many people

I certainly still wear a mask when going to a shop/public indoors space and have my hand sanitiser with me. Covid is not over by any means yet and I have no desire to catch it!

These are not the times to scant on your hygiene. The most effective measures are actually the ones that prevent you from coming into contact with any virus in the first place. In the case of monkey pox, a mask is not needed but hand washing/ sanitising a bit more regularly when being in close contact with people for longer periods or touching things that lots of different people touch regularly and when coming home is not the worst idea. But you are not likely to catch it from a casual contact.

The smallpox vaccination campaign was stopped in 1971 in the UK and 1972 in the USA and Canada so anybody born before 1970 will likely have had the vaccine as a small child and will be protected from catching monkey pox, which is a much milder pox virus compared to smallpox.
It was part of the actually successful drive to eliminate the big killer/crippling infections like small box tuberculosis and polio during the 50ies and 60ies. Tuberculosis and polio are sadly creeping back but smallpox, the scourge of previous centuries, has been eradicated.
@furryfriends (TEAS)

Back