• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Molting....

• Thread starter Thread starter jakewc2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jakewc2

One of my males is molting. I have checked at the ends, and dont see any scabby bits. I have checked his fur and it doesnt look scabby or dandruffy. Is it normal for GP's to molt? He's semi long haired. His back from his head has long hair and he has a sort of tail of long hair but his sides are short hair.

How much is he malting? Is it just when you stroke or can you find clumps of hair over the cage. I've never heard they malt but who knows...

Yes they can moult,especially when the weather gets warmer.If there is a fair bit of loose hair it would not hurt to bath the piggy in one of Chrissies conditioning shampoos.

WWW.gorgeousguineas.com

i have 2 short hair boars and they are both moulting, a thinner coat for the summer will keep them cooler :)

One of my pigs used to molt too, it was normally when the weather get warmer, like maryh said.

Thanks everybody for your replies, that has made me a bit less worried. I'm paranoid about them getting mites. I have treated them, and I did give them a bath. I have some of Gorgeous Guineas shampoos that I used. They both smelled of lavender after I finished with them. I have a younger GP that's about 8 weeks old. How old should I wait to start bathing him. I have heard that its not good to bath young GP's but I dont know what age is ok.

Thank you again. ;)

It is safe to bathe them at 8 weeks,but unless he has a skin problem or is mucky,leave it a few weeks.

On the gorgeous guineas website they sell a "mini pig" shampoo, for pigs under 12 weeks, although it does say on the site that piggies under 12 weeks don't normally need a bath unless there's a skin prob.

I think I'll leave the younger one then, till he's about 3 months old. I dont want to stress him out.

Thanks for all your replies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back