• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Molar infection + removal?

JennyP23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Crowdsourcing info. Most posts I've seen here (and elsewhere) have been about tooth/molar trimming or have posed molar extraction questions with no clear answers. Our pig has an infected upper molar. It's causing nasal inflammation. Currently treating with meloxicam and an antibiotic. We've been advised that once he gets better we'll likely want to have the molar extracted in 2-3 weeks. Upon questioning, we were advised it's not a crazy procedure.

Just started looking into it myself and am not seeing the most positive things about it. That being said, it's hard to tell how many of the more negative posts I'm reading are rooted in first-hand experience or hypotheticals. Our (exotic-specialized) vet may have been saving this info for when the time was right, but I'm reading that if one molar is removed, the opposite molar would have to be regularly trimmed. Our vet did not communicate this (yet at least). Can anyone confirm this is true? We asked about managing the infected tooth instead of removing and were advised it could certainly be attempted, but would probably just keep getting re-infected so extraction would be the most effective solution.

Our pig already survived a complicated stomach surgery a year ago so I'd like to minimize risk, but was told molar extraction would not be a big deal, especially compared to the previous surgery. Can anyone *with experience with this* confirm?

Thanks.

I’m going to tag our most experienced dental experienced member - she runs a sanctuary for dental piggies so her knowledge is extensive - but I’m not sure how often she comes into the forum at the moment
@furryfriends (TEAS)

Generally speaking, removing a molar is a huge issue and should be a last resort option. It does mean the opposing tooth can’t wear properly and it can knock the whole mouth out of sync

I really wouldn’t be getting molars extracted unless they’re loose! A strong antibiotic should sort out any infection! Removing molars will potentially leave him needing regular dentals, as the opposing tooth will have nothing to wear against xx
Unsure if it's loose but definitely infected and I believe decaying. Little to no improvement after one week of chloramphenicol and meloxicam so extraction is being recommended for this week instead of 1-2 weeks from now despite oxygen concerns (though he did fine under anesthesia for the CT). This has been a problem for about 2 months now and was originally treated w/ antibiotics for a URI. Those 90% helped but then the wheezing/honking (that we now know is from nasal inflammation) returned.

Back