Mixed pair bonding

ClaudetteDoom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two piggies, Hyacinth and Almond. They're both under a year, Hyacinth is about 9 months I think, and Almond is 6 months.

They lived alongside each other for 7 weeks in a divided cage before under going to bonding process (post neutering and potential pregnancy wait), we then introduced and bonded on neutral territory, cleaned the cage and moved them in where they have been for around 4 weeks now.

They never fought, a bit of chasing and occasional rumble strutting from Almond over hides etc. I think they struggled a bit because Hyacinth was a fairly dominant sow and judging by the scabs on Almond when we rescued him (he was living in a very young bachelor group post neuter) he is quite a submissive boar so they don't have a natural hierarchy I think?

Essntially this background was to really ask... is it OK for them to mostly just tolerate each other? They're both happy, healthy gaining weight. They popcorn and zoom. They just never snuggle, don't really groom each other, don't share a hide. They'll happily eat from the same bowl (even though there's is two) and share a hay pile. It's definitely room mate vibes rather than wedded vibes 😂

It sounds as if they are getting on well.
If one is dominant and one submissive and they are not fighting, then they do have a perfectly functioning hierarchy.
It’s also very normal for piggies to never snuggle, never share a hide etc. Not doing these things is not a sign of a problematic bond.

I have two piggies, Hyacinth and Almond. They're both under a year, Hyacinth is about 9 months I think, and Almond is 6 months.

They lived alongside each other for 7 weeks in a divided cage before under going to bonding process (post neutering and potential pregnancy wait), we then introduced and bonded on neutral territory, cleaned the cage and moved them in where they have been for around 4 weeks now.

They never fought, a bit of chasing and occasional rumble strutting from Almond over hides etc. I think they struggled a bit because Hyacinth was a fairly dominant sow and judging by the scabs on Almond when we rescued him (he was living in a very young bachelor group post neuter) he is quite a submissive boar so they don't have a natural hierarchy I think?

Essntially this background was to really ask... is it OK for them to mostly just tolerate each other? They're both happy, healthy gaining weight. They popcorn and zoom. They just never snuggle, don't really groom each other, don't share a hide. They'll happily eat from the same bowl (even though there's is two) and share a hay pile. It's definitely room mate vibes rather than wedded vibes 😂

Hi

Your piggies are perfectly normal for a dominant sow/submissive boar combo.
All piggies have a strict group hierarchy; it is at the very core of their social structure and takes about 2 weeks to establish intitially (what you call bonding is actually just the introduction) and the same time with every major change in their territory and the group composition. A 'husboar' is part of the overall group hierarchy, the leader of which can be either gender, depending on the personality mix. Sows have additionally a sow hierarchy in any bonded group. A husboar won't usually intervene in any sows-internal disputes.
It is also a human misconception that piggies are cuddly and bonded at the hip; they are not. Please always provide as many huts/tunnels - preferably with two exits - as you have piggies living together.

Especially dominant sows will very much insist on their private sphere outside of the couple of hours of fertility at the end of of their season (about every 2 weeks) in the first weeks of their relationship. Submissive boars are generally what I call 'rumble-singers' (i.e. wooers) as opposed to 'mountaineers' (dominance mounters).

You may find the information in these links here both helpful and interesting:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (includes the 2 weeks' post-intro dominance phase)
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours (includes information on the various functions of rumble-strutting in different contexts)

Ah thank you both.

I had read the mixed pairing guide, and the bonding and interaction guide but haven't read the behaviours in a while. I definitely had the idea that a hus-boar and wife would be more... snuggly.

I think having a dominant sow had thrown my perception somewhat! He sometimes tries rumbling if she's in his preferred hide (they are identical 🙄) and she ignores him entirely so he goes and rest next door.

Ah thank you both.

I had read the mixed pairing guide, and the bonding and interaction guide but haven't read the behaviours in a while. I definitely had the idea that a hus-boar and wife would be more... snuggly.

I think having a dominant sow had thrown my perception somewhat! He sometimes tries rumbling if she's in his preferred hide (they are identical 🙄) and she ignores him entirely so he goes and rest next door.

There is a stage in early married life where pretty much everything a boar says (apart from the food wheek) comes out as a rumble. Things will usually relax a bit more but piggies are simply not as snuggly as you'd expect. Mine often hang out together in the hay tray but sleep in different huts or outside the hut of the more dominant piggy if they wat to be closer. Actually sharing a hut or piling up is much rarer.

The behaviours guide is a new one. We continue to work on our information resource as and when we have some (rather scant) spare time. You may find more new additions or updated guides (like our new syringe feeding and medicating guide) sprinkled across the various topics: Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

This sounds fine... a lot of bonded pairs don't snuggle or mutually groom (I've actually very seldom seen ANY of my pairs groom each other unless it's a bonding situation or reaffirming their friend back to the group after a somewhat prolonged absence.) My current pair will share the pigloo and night and will sit next to each other sometimes, but they don't share hideys in the daytime and although together, they are not snuggled.

I won’t think you have any worries there at all. There’s very few piggies that share a bed and snuggle up together, sounds perfectly normal to me 😁

Back