• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites?

• Thread starter Thread starter Crittercrazy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crittercrazy

I keep reading about mites on so many threads. How do I check mine for mites? How do I treat mites if one or all get them? How do I aviod this from happening other than clean cage?

Early signs are itching and mild hair loss. If this is ignored it can progress to severe hair loss, open wounds, scabs and even seizures from the itching and irritation. You can't see mites as they are microscopic. You can't really avoid it though pigs are prone to mites in times of stress such as when they're ill. Mites are easily treated using ivermectin which you can get from the vet. Never buy insecticidal shampoos or pyrethin spot-ons from pet shops to treat them as they are useless and dangerous.

Thank you. I'll keep a close eye out for the pesky little mites! I had guineas when I was a young girl for about 9 or 10 years. Never had them to my knowledge.....Thanks for your input.

I got a mite spray for my lot - Angus is still scratching though... he has dandruff... do you think a bath is in order?
Wilson has a small bald patch but i havent noticed the rest scratching anymore...

baby-wilson said:
I got a mite spray for my lot - Angus is still scratching though... he has dandruff... do you think a bath is in order?
Wilson has a small bald patch but i havent noticed the rest scratching anymore...

The sprays are useless and dangerous if inhaled (by humans AND guinea pigs). Mites need ivermectin.

baby-wilson said:
Does wilson still have a bald patch? I told you about ivermectin, have you checked the ingredients in the spray? Sprays don't normally have ivermectin in them. Ask Glynis or your vet where you can get ivermectin in Australia. You need to get it treated properly or they will end up losing more hair and getting more uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back