• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little M

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think my piggie has mites!! I collected my new piggie from a breeder a week a go, I didn't go around specifically to buy her just couldn't believe the conditions she was in!! :-\ We actually went round to pick up a kitten for the mother in law, don't get me wrong they were well fed just looked cramped and in desperate need of cleaning. Got her home and left her to settle in for a few days. I had noticed she was a bit scratchy but couldn't see anything, as it was so nice today I thought i'd introduce her to the gang. She got on like a house on fire from the word go, there was only one scuffle and that was ruby telling her shes the boss, much to my relief then I just went out to get them in Honey still scratching Had a good look at her and she is crawling!! They are tiny little reddy brown things about the size of a pen tip I got the tooth comb out and got out everyone i could see. Booking her in at vets tommorrow will I need to treat the whole group? Also the rabbits are in an adjacent run will they need doing as well as they all lie together piggies one side buns the other they can even touch. I am quite annoyed with myself should have given her a once over this morning!! :(

This sounds more like lice rather than mites. Mites are microscopic so you wouldn't be able to see them.
Yup, you will probably have to treat the whole group if shes been interacting with them. I'd give your housing area a good scrub out as well, just to make sure. Gorgeous guinas do some lice shampoo that would work but see what the vet says tomorrow.
Hope you get it sorted, good luck

I think the guinea shes met would need a good check over and wash, there something you can get from pets at home called lice 'n' easy, use that, cause it sounds like lice so that should treat the lice if the other piggies have got any!
And yes a good check at the vets would be good too O0

Give us an update after shes been to the vets! :)

It does sound like lice not miltes Ali said get some lice&easy you can get this from Gorgeous Guineas not pets at home. It really is fantastic stuff and works brilliantly.

Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow. I like everyone else has said you will probably need to treat the whole group and disinfect their cages and equipment. :)

Pumpkinpiggie said:
It does sound like lice not miltes Ali said get some lice&easy you can get this from Gorgeous Guineas not pets at home. It really is fantastic stuff and works brilliantly.

oooo yeah, gorgeous guineas! I was thinking for about a min or 2 when i was writting the post 'is it gorgeous guineas or pets at home hmmmm'

Yeah give your cages and hutches a good scrub as well as your pets lol
Keep us informed O0

Re: Mites UPDATE

Thanks everyone! been to vets have got enough treatments to start a small chemists shop ::) Got some Shampoo for Honey as her skin is a little irritated and enough spot on Ivormectin to last till X mas. Also some bug killing spray for the hutch! The vet told me to bath the affected ones in the shampoo (haven't seen anything on the others fingers crossed) The others all have the spot on treatment including all the buns. I have cleaned out the hutches disinfected them and gave them a spray, leaving the piggies out for a couple of hours now for their home to dry Hopefully that will be the end of it.

I still feel a bad mother though ?

Don't be silly. Well all do things sometimes without thinking and you have taken action to get rid of the mites. Well done. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back