• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

mites.

• Thread starter Thread starter dinnertea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dinnertea

i have two boars living together momo and squeaky. momo has been diagnosed with mites by the vet, and is having drops to get rid of them. squeaky has no signs at all of having them and looks lovely, where as momo is riddled and all though he's had anti inflametries, antibiotics pain killing injections, antiseptic shampoo baths and two lots of three course of mite stuff he is no better. his skin is thick with a crust that seems to have moved from his side to his back now, its heart breaking. has anyone else had this problem, and does anyone think it could be something diffrent as it always seemed strange that it was only momo. i don't think its anything to do with vit c as I'm very carefull about that. HELP :'(

Are you sure it is not an allergy he has, maybe the bedding you use.

Seems strange that he is not getting any better after so many treatments. It does take time for the skin to heal etc but you should be seeing some sort of improvement. Are you sure it is mites and not a fungal infection.

Check out this link http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/indentification.html

What drops has the vet been giving him?

Hope he starts to improve soon, it is so distressing for them and also us to see them like this.

could be fungal rather than mites? i had that problem, my vet treated my new piggy for mites, without even considering the fact he may have a fungal infection...turns out he does have a fungal infection and my piggy has very flakey and scabby skin

that link was very helpful, i keep saying to the vet that i didn't think it was mites as wouldn't they both have them. she tooks some samples when i took them today so hopefully i should find out

Mites do not always spread from one pig to another and this does sound like fungus.Did you have a look at GG website,there is a very good article on there about mites/fungal infections and how to tell them apart.If you email Chrissie and if possible send her a pic she will advise you what treatment to use.Her products really do work.

The skin scrape is a waste of money and any experienced vet should have been able to tell if it is fungal.

I did ring the vet back on the strength of what i read on the gg site, and she said that the shampoo that she gave me for momo is for fungus, so I'm desperate to start that but she suggested to wait for the mite drops to sink in first. i wish had diagnosed properly the first time i went. that fungal stuff has put the fear up me and i just hope momo is ok, she loves her baths anyway and she'll be getting one a day till its cleared up. if it doesn't work i will contact the lady you mentioned, thanks for advice everyone. ; :)

I would treat for both, leave 48 hours inbetween Ivermectin (I assume thats what the drops were?) and Melts.

The Pig Issue shows Mr. Melt who had parasitic and fungal problems, as the pigture shows he was much better in just 3 wheeks and there have been no reccurrences (spelling!) of fungal or otherwise. If you treat it properly with the correct products fungal skin is not a problem. If you treat guineas with human and horse products then the results are not as good. Been there and got the T Shirt! Thank goodness for Gorgeous Guineas the easiest 5 years of rescue I've done, before that it was big sighs when a fungal pig came in!

i woud recommend not to bother.

i dont think I'm even going to bother with merlins second treatment of spot on, in my opinion it is useless ;D

ill stick to my GG products when they arrive. chrissie has been a godsend and posted them asap today for me :smitten:

You do need Ivermectin treatment with mites but I use oral Ivermectin. Chrissie's products are a godsend, there's lots of rescue guineas that will testify to that :)

my vets never offer oral ivermectin, they always give me spot on and i got sick of it as i personally havent seen results from using it

I'm currently looking into new vets though

also merlin was mis-diagnosed i think, his prob is fungal, his skin looks nothing like mites

Hi all, from looking at the pic it does look a bit like that, although there is a thick yellow crust over it at his back end. we have just started the bath a day and momo doesn't mind it. he's back at the vets on Wednesday for a check if i don't see any improvement soon though I'm changing vets.

Then I would definitely get him a Melt from Gorgeous Guineas. Mr Melt had the CocoNeem one and Lavender and Myrrh lotion. Within 3 weeks he was fine again. Sounds like Fungal and Parasitic.

where do i get this from, I'm desperate now its breaking my heart. he keeps going mad and freaking out in the cage and i don't know what to do. I'm bathing him everyday and making sure the cage is spotless I've given him somewhere to sit without hey and saw dust in case its irritating his skin more. the stuff from the vet hasn't really had time to kick in, but I've lost faith in the vet as her failure to diagnosis correctly has made it worse, and i hate to see the little guy suffer. :'(

Awww bless you, really hope he makes a speedy recovery, it happens to the best of piggies, at least you know the symptoms if you see/hear people with this problem in the future O0 xx

Its going hurray. Finally he's looking better a bit bold but the crust is nearly all gone and he seems a lot better. can't wait to have him all better and be able to give him a cuddle as am still nerves of hurting at present. thanks for everyones advice. :)

Excellent News.

Congratulations.

Glad it is working and your little pig will be feeling a lot more comfortable too. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back