• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One of my guineas had the Ivomec drops treatment for mites last week. I have bought some bits from Gorgeous Guineas, should i bath her? And if the conditiom of her skin doesnt improve take her back to the vets for more treatment?

It can take 2 or 3 treatments before you see improvement. I would contact Chrissie at GG and she can advise when would be appropriate to bath when using Ivomec.

I wouldnt bath them as there is no use as mites are under the skin and can only be treated with the ivermec injection from the vets and will need the injection at least 3 times O0

send chrisse a email she is great when mine had a mite/fungal infection she recomended the best stuff to use. I emailed her describing the symptoms. Continue with the vet treatment as well no point in starting something and then not finishing the course :) I bathed Tilly about a week after ivomec injection in the coconeem melt and shampoo :)

When my John had mites we took him to the vets, he needed 3 doses of ivomec drops on his back. You DON'T need to go down the injection route, the drops on the back work just as well.

After first set of drops, the vet told us to leave him in his hutch until the drops had dried in, but the next day found his coat quite greasy where the drops had been. This settles after a few days though.

Then you need to go back for a second dose at a set number of days after the first. And usually a third dose again a set number of days after the 2nd.

Gorgeous Guineas has fab fab stuff. We used a coconeem melt and coconeem and hanuka (sp?) shampoo.
You can't use the melt or shampoo for 48hrs after the drops form the vets.
Then you use melt and shampoo for on the times stated. Chrissie sends an information/instruction sheet with all the details with the shampoo.
3 baths later and you should have a gorgeous guinea :)

Fay

Ivermectin is on day 1 and day 10, I use GG products first to give some relief then 48 hours later give Ivermectin, but it depends on each guinea :)

Even vets should recommend a bath (albeit a veterinary product) to relieve itching and get rid of surface eggs- there may be surface mites as well as one under the skin.Mr Melt had burrowing mites (at least) and only had one course of Ivermectin (day one and ten) and some help from the GG products.

Mine have Ivermectin orally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back