• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

mites

• Thread starter Thread starter kasann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kasann

Hello its me again,
Josh has had three injections for mites over a three week period but he's still scratching. My vet said at his last appointment that he could need another one. I've heard people talk about three but not four. Should i take him or leave it to the gorgeous guineas stuff i've got coming?

Many thanks

Kelly :)

Phoned the vets but i cant get in till monday now. I'll let you know how we get on.

Hi i've not dealt with mites (cross my paws here) but if you're really worried, we have some great mods that have knowledge... pm them they can advise you O0

I would try some gorgeous guineas lice n easy in case its lice too....

Lice arent blood suckers, so that could be why hes still iching...

I would get some and give him a bath in it....leave a couple of days between treatments so they arent any chemical reactions O0

Ivermectin is drying to the skin, I wouldn't use any more. It could be Fungal or lice as Cherry said. A CocoNeem Melt would ease the skin and help rid fungal and lice probs. Has your vet given you a bath over the course?

Wait and see what the GG stuff does, but for now you can rub Kamilosan cream (supermarkets/superdrug/boots) on the skin to ease itching. I'd give a bath in some Nizoral or something too while you're waiting (then apply the cream).

Is his skin flaky? Is it red/angry?

Is there any debris in there?

Does hair come out in clumps and have skin at the end?

Are there any bald patches?

Any broken hair shafts?

How big are bald patches?

Def give the gorgeous guineas stuff ago I did and it has worked wonders on what the vet 'thought' was mites she is still having her ivomec injections as I want her to finish the course but the gorgeous guineas stuff has cleared the problem a treat and the melts are fab!

Thanks everyone,
I've got CocoNeem Melt, Manuka & Neem Shampoo and Lavender & Myrrh Lotion coming from gorgeous guineas. Should be here soon. The vet gave me some really foul smelling shampoo to bath him in and i've done it several times. He hates it and I'm sure it stings by his reaction. His skin is flaky near his rump but it does seem a bit looser than it was. The hair does'nt come out at all and the stubble he has seems to be were the hair is growing back. He still has a couple of bald patches with scabs on where he's been scratching/biting so thats very sore and the only debris looks like bits of scab. He's just finished his antibiotics today too. He is better than he was but he's still scratching/biting and making himself cry :'(
It seems like he's really going off me but I'm sure once he's better he'll come round.

Thanks again for all your fab advice, these are my first gp's so I'm still learning.

Kelly

just thinking, that would probably be it, wouldnt it? If he has lost hair due to the mites, and now it is growing back, that WOULD itch.

I mean, you know when you shave your bikini zone, and a day or two later you come out in red blotches and it ITCHES like whoa... wouldnt the same thing to a piggy that has to regrow hair?

Regrowing hair does not cause itching in gps.I agree with Karen that the piggy has had too much Ivermectin.I would not give my piggies more than 2 doses.Olive oil will relieve itchy skin,as will Kamilosan as Karen sugggested.
The gg products will work well,they are very good.

Thanks Mary, i will get some Kamilosan and olive oil tomorrow like Karen said while I'm waiting for my gg products.

This forum is fab I'm so glad i found it but I'm so angry with vet.

What was the shampoo the vet gave you?.Why is your piggy having antibiotics?.

Mr. Melt This guinea had one course of Ivermectin, 10 days apart. The rest of the recovery was due to Gorgeous Guineas products. It does not take a lot to bring a piggies skin back to health- it does take the right products. Gorgeous Guineas products have saved me lots of money on skincare treatments and they work, are continually being improved and giving you what you want/need. Sounds like an advert- because I'll advertise anything worth shouting about :)

Mary, the shampoo is called seleen and i think he was on antibiotics to prevent his wounds becoming infected.

Karen, one of the things i love about this forum is people like yourself try things and tell others about them if there good or bad, so shout away. I've learnt so much on here but i know I'm still very much a novice.

Hi,

Seleen is the shampoo recommended by vets who do not know about gps.This shampoo is very good for dogs apparently.

I agree with Karen that GG products are really excellent.

There is no need at all to give antibiotics for sores caused by scratching,on pigs with parasitc activity.The GG products,plus Ivermectin ,if necessary will sooth and heal the sores.Over the years I have seen dozens and dozens of pigs with scratch sores,and they have never got infected.

Again,antibiotic is the first weapon that non piggy vets will use,because they do not have a clue so tell the owner" it is an infection!.

Thanks Mary, i'm going to look for a better vet. The vets i go to are ambivet and with all the branches they have i'd have thought if one vet didnt know something they would ask one that did, instead of basically guessing >:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back