• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

mites, worms? HELP =[

• Thread starter Thread starter Jaclyn23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaclyn23

Okay so as usualy today I took trixie out of her cage for a little bit and sat her on my lap. It was about a half hour into our time together when I noticed something on her fur, and I thought it was a piece of bedding so I brushed it off.... Well it turns out whatever that "thing" was looked like a worm and NOT bedding =/.. What I seen was one little thing (and it was small) it was white with a black head/butt idk either the head or the butt of this thing was black... Idk what it is? Could Trixie have mites or worms? Anyone have pics of guinea pig worms/mites?.. I've only had her for a month... and I've never seen anything else wrong with her. If it is mites can I or other pets get it? How do you treat it?! My dad is yelling at me since he lost his job, and going to the vet would cost a large amount of money.

help and advice is really needed.. I'm copncerned for her health! Anything to look out for to see if it is mites/worms? I mean could it be a coincidence that something laned on her fur? what causes worms/mites! :'(

Well it's not mites because these can't be seen, but i have no idea about worms, sorry cant be any more help, sounds strange, was it just the one on her or can you see any more or anything else in her fur? x

thanks ... my mom advised me it couldn't be mites eaither, as for worms I'm pretty sure they eat poop, and are a lot bigger... It could have been larva from a fly? There was only the ONE on her, well that I've seen. Besides seeing that on her, she's eating, drinking, running around fine. I still need advice though!

sounds like a maggot to me.Flies lay eggs,eggs hatch into tiny white maggots with black heads

you I thought it was too, are they living on her you think? or did one just happen to get on her... idk if they can live on other living things, I'm pretty sure they like dark places.

I would think that one had just got into her coat.
I know rabbits can get fly strike where the flys lay eggs on the backside of a rabbit then the maggots hatch out and live on the flesh of the rabbit but i have never heard of this in piggies.
I would just make sure her cage is kept clean and you will probably never see one again

Oh I'm cleaning her cage very soon, I never took her outside so I don't think anything could have layed larva on her. I'm pretty sure it had to be a maggot, since it's the onlt one I have seen, and it was pretty visable... and from my research mites and worms are fairly small and are under the coat... and cause sores on the skin.

:o :o :o gosh, never heard of this before, ewwwww >:(
Poor little one :'(
When you clean out the cage be really thorough O0 I'd give her a bath also O0
Good luck love, what a shock for you, well done for spotting it so quicly tho O0 :smitten:

thanks! oh god it was so freaky! the thing was alive too! I still have no clue if there's more/where it came from. What can I wash my piggy with? I've never given her a bath before, and I'm sure she's never had one.

even if you keep them indoors if there is a wet patch that gets missed for a few days the flys will move in.take special care in the corners of the cage

I will thanks! but if they are indeed in her cage, can they harm her? I don't want her to be infested with maggots!

After you've cleaned out make sure everything is dried and then they'll not have reason to come back again >:D evil things >:(

There's special shampoos for piggies, check out the thread on here that advises you on these, i'm not sure where you are.... Sokel can you help with this love?

I live in Pennsylvania (USA). I'm not sure what you guys get but I'm sure my country could have it? I'll check it out =]. I appreciate the help here! My aunt suggested it could have come from old veggies... I try to pick up the ones she drags out/leaves in her cage but I could have missed a couple?

Jaclyn23 said:
I live in Pennsylvania (USA). I'm not sure what you guys get but I'm sure my country could have it? I'll check it out =]. I appreciate the help here! My aunt suggested it could have come from old veggies... I try to pick up the ones she drags out/leaves in her cage but I could have missed a couple?

Big possability >:( evil bugs...

mmm go onto guinealynx forum, they're based in the USA and should have some suggestions also O0

thanks =]. I checked on her just now, she was excited tio see me lol... but I didn't see anything on her fur this time, although I will be extra careful when I clean her cage this time! oh also, I think I'm comind down with a cold... can trixie get sick if I am? Is there any sickness they CAN catch from humans?

awwwww that's good love :smitten:
I just be extra careful when i have a cold so that i don't cough or breathe on them... and wash your hands thoroughly also... O0

Oh I always wash my hands for my, and my piggy's health, but can they catch a cold from us?

i'm honestly not sure, but i do know of somebody (actually from the US) who had the flu and was sure that's why one of her piggies got ill and then passed on to the bridge... but i'd hate to say this is correct. I'm sure somebody on here spoke about this awhile ago...... :-\ :-\
Well done love, sounds like you've already been doing everything right for your piggies and yourself :smitten:

Jaclyn23 said:
Oh I always wash my hands for my, and my piggy's health, but can they catch a cold from us?

I think they can catch the virus from us, so if you have a cold/flu contact should be limited :)

Yes they can catch a cold off humans.
If you do have a cold keep contact down to just the basics

aww I want to hold her though ;D! But since they can catch it, I will keep contact down for her health. thanks! Are they the only animal able to catch things from humans?

No quite a lot of animals can catch human colds

I was completely un aware :o. I'll have to be more careful now with pets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back