• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites question

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

Does anyone here know how old a mite has to be to start laying eggs - and also how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?

As I mentioned in a previous post one of my pigs 'Sue' has mites - although Vedra couldn't find any evidence on any other pig of mine. So all 5 have to go through mite treatment. I have got shampoo from the CTT & also Ivomec'd them. Just asking out of curiosity because bathing all 5 once a week for the next month is quite daunting (but i don't mind!).

No idea how old, but don't the eggs hatch within a 10 day period, that is why we Ivomec on day 1 and 10?
Ivomec kills the adult mites but is inreffective against the eggs.
If I find out will update you!

Barbara

Thanks, I marked 10 days on the calendar from when I Ivomec'd. I just don't want to be stressing the oldies out by bathing too much. But don't want to do it too little & the whole cycle start again!

hils78 said:
Thanks, I marked 10 days on the calendar from when I Ivomec'd. I just don't want to be stressing the oldies out by bathing too much. But don't want to do it too little & the whole cycle start again!

Hopefully the Ivomec will break the cycle, I agree with you about not over stressing the oldies :)

Hope you wont think I'm awful but I have never wormed mine.But after hearing about many of u routinely using it I thought I'd find out how much it would b for 14 piggies and the vet nurse said over 70pounds as they have to have a vial each :(

Absolute rubbish! contact Cobweb Cavies & he will sell you a vial that should give all of those 1 treatment for about £10! you just put it into thier mouth with a syringe - its really easy ;)

Or you could join the CTT for £25 and get them all wormed every 3 months for just that subscription - along with the best Guinea Vetinary advice there is. You do have to get to Huntingdon though!

hils78 said:
Absolute rubbish! contact Cobweb Cavies & he will sell you a vial that should give all of those 1 treatment for about £10! you just put it into thier mouth with a syringe - its really easy ;)

Or you could join the CTT for £25 and get them all wormed every 3 months for just that subscription - along with the best Guinea Vetinary advice there is. You do have to get to Huntingdon though!

Thankyou so much for that presume they have a website,will contact them now.

Can I just mention that there is some concern (among some people) over the Ivomec cobweb Cavies sells or rather the solution it is carried in. I personally wouldn't use it. If they have changed the brand they sell then fair enough, though it must be used with caution and my worry always is that people will not use it correctly and harm their guinea pigs.

I think another thread was closed where people were advocating Ivomec from Cobweb Cavies?

Could you tell me some more please? I don't know much about the carrying solution - but does would this have something to do with the carrier you are thinking of? - 'it doesn't contain Clorsulon , it's just 1% ivermectin in a sterile solution'.

Carrying solutions do interest me beacuse as a child I nearly died as a result of a combined vaccination - it was the carrier that I was allergic to. As a result my younger sister didn't ever get vaccinated!

hils78 said:
Could you tell me some more please? I don't know much about the carrying solution - but does would this have something to do with the carrier you are thinking of? - 'it doesn't contain Clorsulon , it's just 1% ivermectin in a sterile solution'.

Carrying solutions do interest me because as a child I nearly died as a result of a combined vaccination - it was the carrier that I was allergic to. As a result my younger sister didn't ever get vaccinated!

Chased this up, apologies it was the closulan that was the concern, but it appears that now they have stopped selling the Ivomec Plus they used to up until recently and it appears it is now simply Ivomec....?
Still, I am pleased to see that they took note of peoples concerns and acted upon them :)

They say Ivomec is difficult to come by, and being available to people "in the know."
That isn't true actually true and I could buy a bottle on line tonight if I wanted to. I might have to stretch the truth a little to get it ::)
But it's not hard to come by. I have friends who bought a bottle from a farm store without problem.

The CCT used to be able to provide it's members with Ivomec but had to stop due to legislation, Ivomec is a POM I believe.
Is it once again available from the CCT? Does anyone know? I would imagine it is if Cobweb Cavies can sell it :)

Again, sorry for the confusion hills.

*Edited to add, I don't want people to think I am encouraging people to lie to obtain Ivomec, I can see it might look that way, having re-read the above! If you are in any doubt about your pets health, I'd advise you seek professional vet treatment.
Do not want to remove anything already written though for fear of being accused of posting something differrent...if that makes sense ;)

Ive sent for some Ivomec from Cobweb cavies and theyre very quick in sending :o

No confusion at all! I just like to know 'why' much like my daughter at the moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back