• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

MITES? PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter Thread starter emma2009
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emma2009

hi i got a new baby piggy 3 weeks ago as a friend for my other piggy ever since shes came theyve been ithing alot the my guinea pig had them before about a year ago and i think thats what it is :'(, they sometimes have like tiny flakes on their hair ,

how would you recomend treating it can it be done by shampoo becaus last time when my piggy got them and i took her to the vets she needed 2 injections which cost £40

any ideas please let me no !!

thanks emma

go to your vet and ask for the topical version of ivomec, its like spot on, its cheaper and a lot less painful for them than the injections they will need to or three doses about a week - 10 days apart. Unfortunately ivomec is the only treatment the definately works for mites but it shouldnt cost £40!

I paid £4.50 for a bottle of ivomec but I bought mine from a breeder as a lot of vets wont give you it without seeing the piggy then if your vet charges a consaltation fee it boosts the price up

sokel said:
I paid £4.50 for a bottle of ivomec but I bought mine from a breeder as a lot of vets wont give you it without seeing the piggy then if your vet charges a consaltation fee it boosts the price up

Yeah my Vet refused to sell it to me - I have to wait until a piggy has a problem and then pay for consultation and injections :tickedoff: I just couldn't make them see that an ounce of prevention is so much better than a pound of cure!

Hi Emma,

I would suggest you contact Chrissie @ Gorgeous Guineas (www.gorgeousguineas.com). She will be able to advise you on what to do and she has great products to help treat mites. She is very helpful and replies to emails very quickly.

Good luck!

Hi Emma,
I went to Pets at Home and asked to see the vet nurse. She sold me ivomec and worked out the doses based on the weights of the pigs. :D didn't have to take my pigs so less stress for them. ;) :) So just ask to see a vet nurse and hopefully you will only need to pay for the ivomec. :)

I would tell you not to buy it yourself until you are more experienced with guineas :)

Go to your vet and ask for the topical version, you dont have to inject unless its a particularly bad case, as its unneeded pain to the piggy :)

The drug used to treat mites is ivomectin, which is used at a sheep dip. If you got to the pet shops you can find mite drugs which contain this and it is a lot cheaper then licensed medicines at the vets. I'm a veterinary nurse and i just use the over counter drugs for this. Just make sure they contain ivomec.

Asda near us sell a spot on treatment (single pipette £2.50) which looks really good. Think it's just the one application though - although there did seem to be quite a bit of fluid in there so maybe you are supposed to space out the topical treatment. Good luck O0

hi thanks for all your help

becky do you have any recommended over the counter ones youve used before are you know are good ?

please let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back