• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites? Maybe a fungal infection?

• Thread starter Thread starter Andrea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrea

Hello everyone, I would like a bit of advice.

Rodney has an itchy patch of his back, running down his spine. Whenever I scratch it here, he has to chew and bite on something as if it's really quite irritating. He hasn't more dandruff than normal and I can't see any parasites on this skin. But I beleive that he could have burrowing mites?

What is the best thing to do? I have read on here about the Spot on and oil soaks.

But what I am wondering is how he got them....can they come in on the hay? If so, is he just not going to keep getting them?

Some step by step advice would be great please. Thanks

Have just posted this link for priscillapig, but thought it might help you too :)

Gorgeous Guineas

Lot's of advice on identifying and treating skin problems in guinea pigs. The shampoos and soaks they sell are wonderful. If in any doubt, you will need to see a good guinea pig vet for diagnosis and possible treatment.

If he has skin mites it is likely that he has always carried them and for some reason they are causing him problems now. This can happen if a guinea pig is ill/stressed/pregnant/no obvious reason!
Regular shampooing in appropriate shampoos can prevent and eradicate mite problems, but Ivomec from your vet is generally considered the most effective, when there is an outbreak.

If he has mites and he is treated, then you can either give Ivomec routinely, or as I prefer to do, simply shampoo with appropriate shampoos. If you do this then mites should not prove a further issue.

Skin mites do not arrive via hay, though static lice and (maybe) crawling lice can. We have to remember that if we buy hay from farmers, there may have been mice, rats and haven knows how many farm cats sleeping on the bales :o
So problems from skin parasites/fungal infection could originate here?

Anyway, correct diagnosis is the best place to start...if in doubt and it's generally worth doing anyway...in my opinion, presume it is both parasitic and fungal, treating for both.

Just my thoughts for you :)
Barbara

Thanks for that advice Barbara. Those products on the gorgeous guinea sit look good, I think I will give them a shot. Thanks for the advice.

His hair is slightly greasy yes, but to be honest, not more than normal.....he is due a bath soon. I have tried to see if his hair is falling out, it comes out, but not in clumps, just individual hairs, so I think that is just normal moulting.

What I was planning on doing is bathing him soon with some sort of shampoo that kills mites and lice etc and maybe buying some of that spot on stuff for the back of his neck to keep them at bay. I know this will only kill biting insects though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back