• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

mites/lice?

• Thread starter Thread starter cavy love
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavy love

hiya
as some of you may or may not know, i've been trying to introduce my bertie to pansy, and it hasn't worked out. soooo today we went to get a little girlie for pansy. she is GORGEOUS but i have realised that she has mites/lice. there are little white/brown things crawling over her. luckily we hadn't put her with pansy yet. we are taking her to the vets tomorrow anyway, as we always do when we gwt new ones, just for a check up, and we'll see what they say. how is it treated?

I emailed gorgeous guineas about something similar last week.
Chrissie recommended cocoNeem melt and lice and easy shampoo.
Seems to have worked a treat.
Second shampoo Friday, then hopefully all dealt with.
I'd recomend emailing Chrissie.
www.gorgeousguineas.com
Hope this is of some help
Anne. :)

When we got baby Bee-Bop Mutton Chops we thought she had mites too.

We treated them ourselves with some drops we bought from p@h and it seems to be working well. They may not work in your case though, Mum says it sounds like lice. They were called Beafa I think, and they were good value. The vet will treat them too but it costs a small fourtune.
I'm going to go look at the packet for you to see if it treats lice and stuff. :)

Spelt it wrong. :~D
Its called Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On.
It's for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Ferrets and Rats.
It treats lice, mange mites, other mites and roundworms for up to five weeks.
It contains ivermectin.
You use 1 pipette for G.pigs up to 750g.
2 pipettes for G.pigs over 750g.
At P@H it cost us £3.99

I agree,Ivermectin is unnecesary for lice which this obviously is.Ivermectin is a strong drug and should not be used when there is an alternative like the GG products.

I am against buying drugs of any kind,human or vetinary from the internet.They may be cheap,but the reason for this could be that they have been made with cheaper,possibly ,dangerous ingredients.,and they could have been manufactured under less than hygenic conditions.

right, well we always take any new piggie to see the vet for a check up so we will go anyway. do you think the vet will offer any treatment? if so should i use GG stuff aswell?

mutton chops said:
Spelt it wrong. :~D
Its called Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On.
It's for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Ferrets and Rats.
It treats lice, mange mites, other mites and roundworms for up to five weeks.
It contains ivermectin.
You use 1 pipette for G.pigs up to 750g.
2 pipettes for G.pigs over 750g.
At P@H it cost us £3.99
The strength of ivermectin in this product is too low to treat mites ect so take no notice of what it says on the packet ;) It works out cheaper to visit the vets than to buy this product.

i've e-mailed chrissie O0 i'm going to get some shampoo/whatever she recommends anyway. we're seeing the vet at 12.10 so i'll report back :)

Timmy had lice when I got him and I used GG lice n easy. Worked a treat, although the bath scared him poor little thing. How old is the little one? Make sure it is ok to use it on a mini pig :)

If it is lice, GG products should be all that are needed. Chrissie asked me the ages of mine, when I forgot to tell her. She is thorough. :)
I think if it is mites the vet will need to treat them. GG can advise how to use their products
alongside treatment. I think I read on the site, so long is needed between vet treatment and shampooing and melts.
It is on the site anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Good luck at the vets.
Anne. :)

ok thanks :) she is 9 weeks, which i told Chrissie i'll tell the vet about the shampoos etc. and hopefully she won't need any other treatment. i just like to have them checked over when i first get them anyway. :)

I was only trying to help, now I'm getting told off LOL.

We wanted to treat her as fast as possible and had heard on the forum that this was a good product to use. It worked in my case and like I said, it may not work in yours.

thanks anyway, mutton chops, it's the thought that counts, and it's sweet that you wanted to help :) Chrissie said that the melts and shampoos were not suitable for a pig of that age, but if i wanted i could try putting souffle cream all over her, combing through with a nit comb and then washing itr off with mini pig shampoo, i thought this was a bit of an ordeal for her, as she is VERY nervous, bless her.
anyway, we took her to the vet, he said she was fine otherwise :) but had a LOT of lice :'( sooo he's given us some medicated shampoo to use once a week for 3 weeks and then some spot on for once a week, for 2 weeks, so we'll see how that works :)

i shampooed her yesterday and you have to leave it on for 5 mins. and not let her lick it, then wash it off. poor thing, i think she thought we were trying to drown her awww :-* and i've just put the spot on, on. so i hope it works. :)

Def GG neem products worked a treat on my mizi pig and also cleared up her dry skin. Makes the hutch stink though but well worth it
xx

yeah, i would have gone for them, but Chrissie said she was to young for the shampoo and melts :( anyway, i'm hoping that this will clear them up. if anyone wants to see a pic of her, i've put some in the photo gallery, under pansy's new friend :)

we've given her a bath in the medicated shampoo, as i said before and put the spot on, on, and today she seems more comfortable with me stroking her and i can't see many, if any lice, so thats really good, we'll go through with the whole course of treatment, though just to be on the safe side. :) hopefully her hair will start to grow back where it's gone or is shorter she'll be even more beautiful then. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back