Mites In Baby Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffnsweep

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 children have had their new piggies Jeff and sweep for nearly 3 weeks and they have mites, luckily it's not a bad infestation as you really have to search for them in the fur and I'm 99 percent certain they're running mites as they're on the hair shaft and are small white wriggly things, their skin looks nice and healthy no sores or dry skin etc. The problem is i was going to order some lice n easy but it can't be used on piggies under 12 weeks and our pair are about 8 weeks. Is their anything safe I can use on them in the meantime until they are old enough to have the lice n easy treatment? Thanks in advance x

My 2 children have had their new piggies Jeff and sweep for nearly 3 weeks and they have mites, luckily it's not a bad infestation as you really have to search for them in the fur and I'm 99 percent certain they're running mites as they're on the hair shaft and are small white wriggly things, their skin looks nice and healthy no sores or dry skin etc. The problem is i was going to order some lice n easy but it can't be used on piggies under 12 weeks and our pair are about 8 weeks. Is their anything safe I can use on them in the meantime until they are old enough to have the lice n easy treatment? Thanks in advance x

Please ask your vet for some good quality ivermectin product, like the appropriate concentration of xeno for their young age/weight. You are dealing with running lice, by the description of it, not any form of mites (which are invisible).

Thanks gizzy I'll have a look at the link :) with regards to the iverceptim can this be used on younger piggies, I thought it couldn't be used on babies? If it can I will nip them to the vets next week and will get them some, unfortunately my vets are closed today so I can't call them to ask if it's suitable. Thanks for the replies.

Zeno comes in 2 size concentrate, xeno50 for babies, a good vet will weigh them first to ensure the low dose is still acceptable. Remember it's important to have clean bedding and anything with fleece on should be hot washed to ensure no transfer. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back