Mite Spot On Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillyoshea

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi hope I put this in the right thread lol, I recently got two guinea pigs from pets at home and noticed one had a balding patch, so I researched it, and it said its common for pet shop guinea pigs to come with mites, said that it could be treated at home with Ivermectin and that I should treat both. So I bought Beaphar Anti-Parasite Spot On it says to keep them separate until it drys, its been about 1/2 hours since I treated them both it hasn't dried completely, its still quite greasy? I have one of them in the cage and the other on my bed. Would it harm them to put them if I put them back together? Just don't want him to hurt himself while I'm not in there. Thank you in advance! :)

I'm not entirely sure but I would take them to the vets just make sure it is mites and not something fungal.

It's always best not to treat on spec as it could be a few things, also if it is mites they may need some pain meds?

Never thought about fungal infections, it looked alot like mites, just didn't look much like ringworm its not red or bleeding. I will be able to get them to the vets sometime next week. I'm first time guinea pig owner so I'm new to all this, but I don't think the spot on treatment would do them any harm would it? I suppose it could work as a prevention aswell.

You can put them back together if you haven't done so already. The shop bought mite treatments like the spot on ones don't usually have enough Ivermectin in them to effectively kill mites, so it shouldn't harm.

If you're worried about mites pop to your vet and they'll prescribe something for you. Don't forget to mention what you've already used, just so they don't get overdosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back