• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

MISS SCRUFFY HAS A SWOLLEN LEG? no signs of bites, cuts or fracture?

• Thread starter Thread starter piggyprincess
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggyprincess

Hi All,

I am searching for some information on my Miss Scruffy, she has a swollen leg / foot from the ankle down to the nails :'(, she has no signs of bits, cuts, fractures or long nails however the sewlling will NOT go away even with cold blocks.

I confined her to a small space she can only really turn around in and still made no difference.

There is heat in the foot at times however it comes and goes no signs of infection or dis-colouring in the foot skin colour is the same, I am stumped!

I have read up on bumblefoot and it is not a match however I foud a link that made a little bit of sense

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/inflamation.htm

Any advice will be great! O0

piggys146.jpg

piggys135.jpg

not being silly but bath it with salt water, and keep her on paper and if you can set up a hay rack for her to eat from, keep the floor as clean as possible, change her a couple of times a day and see what happens, I would say get her to the vets but i do understand this is not always easy to do,

good luck keep us posted

What bedding is she on? Try changing that to see if it makes a difference. Sounds like a bite, is she an indoor guinea? Perhaps its a bad sprain and there is a little break in there.
Is she eating OK?
I would take her to the vets just to be checked over, but don't be unduly worried if she's eating OK :) If she's not eating then a painkiller would be good to see if that makes a difference.

HI love can you take her to the vets, i'd rather get her checked over :-\
Wishing you all the very very best and sending healing wheeks from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
she's such a cutie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: if i could see a bit better i'm sure i'd be able to see PIGGIE LIPS ahhhhhhhhh :-* :-* ;)

Scruffy is kept in a very clean environment washed regular, on hysorb (woodshavings) always has been, clean cage, she has a hay rack, fed all necessary diet. She is one of 23 pigs I have, she lives in a large 4m x 1m run with all her other girlfriends and a fixed boar.
I can take her to the vet however I think this is something that will pass as she is eating drinking and running around as normal and lifs the foot when it gets to much.

OK, you're there and can judge the situation :) The reason I ask about bedding is not to do with cleanliness- please don't think I was suggesting that, but pigs sometimes have allergic reactions to different beddings, one of which has been swollen joints/feet. The main culprits are those that contain essential oils because the foot is in constant contact with the floor. Not all guineas react the same to it.

If she were mine I would take her out of the large pen until the swelling goes down (would put another pig with her) but I think you said you'd done this? :)

There could be an infection,it would be a good idea to put her on a course of Baytril.The "hot" pad could be indicative of this.Infection in the bones would not necessarily produce visable pus.If it were my pig I would have an x ray done.Osteoporosis is a possibility.

she may have just twisted it in a funny place so should soon heal up but i would keep a close eye on her and see if the swelling goes down :smitten: good luck and hope its nothing too serious and i hope she gets better soon - keep us updated 0:)

karenrgpr said:
What bedding is she on? Try changing that to see if it makes a difference. Sounds like a bite, is she an indoor guinea? Perhaps its a bad sprain and there is a little break in there.
Is she eating OK?
I would take her to the vets just to be checked over, but don't be unduly worried if she's eating OK :) If she's not eating then a painkiller would be good to see if that makes a difference.

Not at all I knew where you are coming from................thanks :)

I really think it was a sprain she was in a small space and this did help to minimize the movement.

Well good news all round her lfoot has gone down!
The swelling has gone away some and she is walking on it again so that's a great sign
There is no heat in it at all now.

Thanks to everyone with information! :smitten:

Glad she is better. Bedding has been a major issue with these sort of injuries recently- glad you got it sorted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back