Misidentified Piggies (Now What?)

guineapignewbie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We got my daughter two guinea pigs several weeks ago and it looks like we've joined the ranks of those who thought they were picking up two females but were mistakenly given a male by the rescue. We think we may have caught it in time but are currently on pregnancy watch. The rescue says they will take the babies and are checking if their vet will be able to neuter the boar since it was there mistake. In the meantime, we currently have them in the same cage but separated by a divider. They generally stayed in separate areas when they were together.

My question for the forum: If the rescue is unable to neuter (their vet primarily does rabbits) is it OK to leave a non-neutered male and female to live side by side with the divider as is? I'm concerned when the female goes into heat that there could be possible issues. We know climbing and jumping over is a potential obstacle. Secondly, we've heard conflicting reports that neutering could be somewhat dangerous and expensive (we've been quoted $450-$500 from several vets).

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated

Make sure the divider isn't a grid it needs to be solid cus guineas can mate through the bars. Most vets will neuter ask around your local vets. Or ask the rescue to take back one of the guineas and get another of the same Gender. I think you could easily find a vet to neuter though. If you kept them separate I'd suggest trying to find them both a friend. They would need minimum of 2 x 4 c and c for female and slightly bigger for males.

Technically yes it is fine to leave them single and live either side of a divider. They can still interact through the bars so will still have companionship. You will just need to make sure the divider is secure so he can’t push through it or climb over it/use houses etc to get over.

But being properly bonded and living together with another piggy is obviously the best thing. However, I am aware that neutering is not as easy or as cheap in the US as it is here in the UK.
It is a safe operation provided the vet is experienced with piggy neuters.

We got my daughter two guinea pigs several weeks ago and it looks like we've joined the ranks of those who thought they were picking up two females but were mistakenly given a male by the rescue. We think we may have caught it in time but are currently on pregnancy watch. The rescue says they will take the babies and are checking if their vet will be able to neuter the boar since it was there mistake. In the meantime, we currently have them in the same cage but separated by a divider. They generally stayed in separate areas when they were together.

My question for the forum: If the rescue is unable to neuter (their vet primarily does rabbits) is it OK to leave a non-neutered male and female to live side by side with the divider as is? I'm concerned when the female goes into heat that there could be possible issues. We know climbing and jumping over is a potential obstacle. Secondly, we've heard conflicting reports that neutering could be somewhat dangerous and expensive (we've been quoted $450-$500 from several vets).

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated

Hi and welcome

Here is the link to our sexing guide with plenty of pictures not just of the outside of the genitalia (which can be not as clear as reference pictures suggest). Here is the link: Illustrated Sexing Guide
We are also offering to give a second opinion from clear and well-lit pictures of both the outside and any pictures where we can see the inside of the slit. Please label each picture with the name of the piggy in question.

If it is really a mis-sexed pair, then they can in a pinch live with a divider. Cable tie the grids and peg a towel or sheet along the top of the divider on the boy's side to prevent jumping across. Boars will react to sow pheromones although if your girl is already pregnant, then seasons won't be happening until the hours after giving birth.

Alternatively, if you have a mis-sexed pair and can't afford a very expensive neutering operation, you could consider keeping either parent with a baby of the same sex in two cages that are stacked on top of each other; the boys ideally on top as pheromones don't usually rise unless you have multiple sows kicking up a dust storm. Boars growing up around sows are also not quite as impacted as when you introduce sows into a boars-only environment but strong seasons during teenage hot spots can still be a challenge.
Sows can live in any number; boars are best in pairs.

Take the time to explore and consider possible options; we are at hand to ask any questions that come up. We will also help you to make sure that whichever solution you end up with that there are no further accidents.
For the time, living alongside is OK.

Here is more helpful in-depth information and practical tips:
Pregnancy, Mother & Baby Care Guides (our complete information collection)

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Here is the access link to our full information resource:
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry you’re in this situation.
There will be plenty of support and advice for you here.

Back