Minx: It Is 10 Years Today...

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
... since I had to let you go to the Rainbow Bridge, Minx.

Cheekiest of ladies, fearless explorer extraordinaire and surprise mum, life with you was a constant adventure!

Starting to jump up the stairs 10 days before giving birth, sneaking into the fridge when hub was dithering over his lunch, raiding the veg rack, levering out toilet brushes, toppling flower vases and and climbing into flower pots, gnawing on slippers, pulling radiator valve insulation thread, creating messes with tissues and tissue boxes, removing whole rose bush branches in the way of your annually renewed border length race course, making the poor frogs in our tiny frog pond go splash splash splash when you raced by (repeatedly, because it was such fun!), getting trapped in covered seed trays and nearly sucked into running hoovers... you ruled and explored the whole house and garden!

You turned me red-faced having to explain to a gasman that the cardboard barrier on the stairs was there to piggy-proof them and you caused a builder to nearly fall off the roof watching you race back out of the flower border straight into the run when I shouted "cucumber" - he'd thought I was just pulling his leg until you'd showed him. You forced me to carry you outside into the snow before you'd believe that today was really NOT a day for having your usual daily or even three times daily (supervised) garden roam. And then the bad weather was of course MY fault!

At the vets you'd have the whole full waiting room staring in awe at you sitting on top of your hut boldly facing down five frightened cats (you'd draw the line at dogs, though). You loved to sit outside or watch the world go by on a car journey. It was an honour for your little companion Mischief - always desperately scrambling after you - to be finally allowed to sleep on top of your new hut the way you always did. My hub had to adapt your cage for your love of the "high life"!

Wherever I went in the house or garden, you'd inevitably turn up sooner or later to make sure that you were not missing out on anything interesting. You knew the daily routine and loved to anticipate it. You thrived on figuring out a new challenge or having a romp through the garden, followed by a nap in the border (preferably where it took your mum ages to find you!)

You were the one who looked me straight into the eye with your large sad eyes in the garden centre and disrupted my dreams so badly that my exasperated and very tired hub went and bought you for me together with your little friend Mischief, just to get some sleep! Then you promptly presented me with an unplanned pair of delightful babies a few weeks later, right in the middle of a major family health crisis which meant that I couldn't keep them.

You were the one who got me back into guinea pigs by capturing my heart and holding it to ransom from the moment our eyes crossed.
I still miss you like mad, my little larger-than-life friend. Those all too short three years with you were a true blessing as you have enriched my life so much and have ultimately given it a new direction.

I have indulged myself this summer in adopting two not-quite-lookalikes that happened to come my way, Beryn and Barri, in yours and Missy's memory. They bring back some precious forgotten little memories of you in the way they walk, move and look at me. I am sure that you are keeping an eye out for them and are having quite few wheeks to say over how they are getting on down here... ;)

DSCN0780_edited-1.jpg

DSCN1348_edited-1.jpg

DSCN1847_edited-3.jpg

DSCN0491_edited-2.jpg

IMG_0919_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5508_edited-2.jpg

Getting trapped in the seed tray
IMG_0157_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2987_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8205_edited-2.jpg

IMG_0728_edited-1.jpg

(please wait for more pictures!)

IMG_3539_edited-2.jpg

DSCN0258_edited-3.jpg

Waiting for grass in the kitchen door
DSCN0152_edited-1.jpg

Gnawing on the living room door whenever Minx felt a free roam in the garden was overdue!
IMG_3537_edited-2.jpg

IMG_3176_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4020_edited-2.jpg

IMG_1595_edited-1.jpg

Always keeping a beady eye out...
IMG_6991_edited-3.jpg

IMG_5168_edited-2.jpg

Please wait for the last intalment!

Unsweetened cranberry juice!
IMG_3582_edited-2.jpg

"Can't you hear us wheeking?"
IMG_2389_edited-3.jpg

"I've managed to sneak behind the sofa and I'm not coming out!"
IMG_3024_edited-2.jpg

IMG_2324_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3126_edited-1.jpg

Too much fun in the snowy garden to come staight back to mummy!
IMG_3429_edited-2.jpg

After Mischief's death on 19th March 2007 (exactly 7 months before Minx) she found new best mate in same aged widow Dizzy (formerly Daisy) via rescue dating
IMG_6600_edited-3.jpg

'Helping' me with my gardening, in case there is something edible...
IMG_5107_edited-2.jpg

When it became obvious that the last possible medication combination failed to work, Minx enjoyed a last warm and sunny October afternoon on the lawn doing what she loved most, as the last joy I could give her before sparing her a slow and agonising descent into death.
IMG_7616_edited-1.jpg

In memoriam
IMG_7380_edited-3.jpg

Unsweetened cranberry juice!
View attachment 73435

View attachment 73436

I've managed to sneak behind the sofa!
View attachment 73437

View attachment 73438

View attachment 73441

After Mischief's death on 19th March 2007 (exactly 7 months before Minx) she found new best mate in same aged widow Dizzy (formerly Daisy) via rescue dating
View attachment 73439

When it became obvious that the last possible medication combination failed to work, Minx enjoyed a last warm and sunny October afternoon on the lawn doing what loved most, as the last joy I could give her.
View attachment 73442

In memoriam
View attachment 73440
Oh my goodness. That was heart wrenching yet heart warming at the same time. We are blessed having you. X

What a beautiful tribute, I have tears in my eyes! Clearly a loved piggy :hug:

Hello. That is the most powerful tribute I think I've ever read. 10 years on and wow. What a amazing little piggie she's was a massive character and you say a big part of your life. Rainbow Bridge is a lucky place. David. xx

Sleep tight beautiful Minx, your Mum will never forget you. x x

Beautiful tribute to her Wiebke x

Oh my gosh she looks like she was such a lovely, adventurous, funny pig. I had a little chuckle at some of the pictures. Especially her in the fridge!

Such a beautiful tribute. What wonderful memories. Clearly you were both very lucky to have found each other.

That made me cry.What a lovely tribute to a beautiful piggy who sounded like a little minx! I love all the photos but the cranberry one made me laugh x

That was so moving. What a wonderful piggy, she sounds as though she was one in a million!

Minx sounds like she was wonderful. So many rich memories. Love the photos of her. The cranberry beard made me laugh outloud. Thankyou for sharing your memories and this beutiful tribute.

That was such a beautiful tribute. I'm in tears, they really leave such a huge hole in our hearts when they leave us. Sending you hugs.

Such a lovely tribute :luv: ......very special and funny memories...

Thanks for sharing this.. Minx was a shining star!

Awww what a beauty! Such a wonderful tribute. Thankyou for sharing her photo's with us.

Wonderful tribute to a wonderful pig with abbytude! It was a joy to read and bought tears to my eyes. Thankyou for sharing the memories

This is the most awesome tribute. Every now and then you come across a piggy with such character and personality. Minx sounds a real treasure. She’s left a lasting legacy. Carry on popcorning free at the Bridge x

Back