• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Minty and his itching

Status
Not open for further replies.

MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (West Hunsbury), Northampton, UK
Minty seems to be scratching more than necessary (not all the time by any means) so I'm taking the pigs to the vet next week. He's not off his food and his system is running beautifully! Anyhow, I was just wondering with mites/llice/dry skin etc. what treatments should be expected from the vet?

if its mites then ivermectin.

if they want to do a skin scrape, dont let them cos its a waste of time and money ::)

When I took my two they both had a course of three injections (ivermectin) seven to ten days apart and this sorted the mites out O0

Thanks for your replies! It sounds awful, but I'm not working at the moment so money is a bit tight. That's really why I asked. That said, I am DEFINITELY taking them this week, no doubt about it... Am just hoping I'm paranoid and it's nothing to worry about...but if it is something, he needs to be sorted...I can't have an unhappy piggy. Might also explain away the biting...hopefully! :smitten:

This is him taken today:

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17814.0

I don't see any signs of bald bits, although I guess it's difficult with is type of coat. He won't let me anywhere near him - it's either a hormonal/'I'm now more confident' thing or because it's not comfortable for him to be touched. I just want to be able to give him a cuddle... :'(

Mine have Ivermectin on day one and 10. I leave 48hrs between this and a CocoNemm Melt. Aloe Melts are good for pigs that just seem to get dry skin :) Oral Ivermectin won't hurt him and a Melt will make him feel comfortable :)

I took my four to the vets today with mites. I was given ivermectin spot-on treatments, given today, and again in 10 days. I will use a Gorgeous Guinea melt in few days (so I am notwashing the spot-on treatment off). The treatment (including consultation) cost me £35, which I think is pretty good, because he gave me 8 spot-ons in total.

Good luck! If it is mites, you'll only be in there 10 minutes and it wont be too expensive! O0

Well. Saw the vet and the vet has declared that there are no mites, lice or scaling/flaking of his skin. Nor is there any sign of anything wrong with him. Therefore it has been declared that he is simply a sensitive piggy... ::) Both Garry and Minty had their nails cut although she said there wasn't much to come off and the whole caboodle cost me £8.48! Why not £8.50 I don't know, but I can't complain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back