Mint

tabelmabel

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All my pigs have loved mint but i think the mint i tried with my new baby pig was a bit too minty!

Whilst belle tucked in, ebony approached it, smelt it, and boinged right back!

She did it repeatedly and then didnt eat any!

That was a few weeks ago. Yesterday, i put more mint in and Ebony quite like that particular bunch.

Do your pigs like mint?

My piggies and bunnies like mint, although the two youngest rabbits are slightly more hesitant than my old boy who eats anything! My piggies are scared of strawberries though!

Pepper and Pringle absolutely love mint! Herbs are their fav food but mint is defiantly the first thing to be grabbed from the pile! I got them some dried peppermint forage gnosis week too and that has also gone down a treat!

My little old Jess despised the stuff so the other two wouldn’t touch it but when she went to the bridge they decided they loved the stuff! My newest pair are big fans too but little Cleo has become a brave hoover and will eat pretty much everything you put in front of her these days! :))

mint is defiantly the first thing to be grabbed from the pile!

Parsley is the favourite here - such a pity it is so high in calcium. Mint is high too i think?

This pair i have now like coriander - but none of my past pigs would touch coriander.

Those are the only 3 herbs mine really get - are there any other good ones to try?

Is basil one they can have?

Ooh thanks @David Piggie Lover - chives are part of the onion family i think.

So easy to make a mistake - i almost gave my dog a little leftover dinner last night - cheesy tuna pasta homemade. Then, luckily, remembered i had put onions in it :doh:

I’ve never tried mine with mint. Simply because I don’t like it...although I don’t mind chewing gum...

Tried mine with mint for first time last week. Louise hoovered it up, Zara completely not bothered, one sniff and both George and Flora leapt a foot away like it was electric! I've had the same mint plant in an old clay pot for about 15 years - every year it comes back and no-pig has ever eaten it. The only reason I tried picking leaves and offering was that L+Z are penned in the bit where the mint pot isn't so I didn't want to think they were missing out. Now I've got the dilemma as to whether Louise really wants the mint or whether she'll just eat anything: she's not the brightest pig so it could be either!

I probably wouldnt have thought to try mint, but many years ago when i first joined the forum, i had posted something about herbs and someone replied with a post that just cracked me up - so much so, it still makes me smile almost 10 years on.

The first part of the post was really ordinary with full sentences. Then there was just a short few words tacked to the end of the post that said

"Try mint next"

Something about the juxtaposition with the rest of the post made it sound like an abrupt instruction to try mint 😄

Well, of course, i just had to rush out and obey!

I must use the search tool to see if i can turn it up again and see who posted it!

Dill hasnt been a huge hit with belle and ebony. It is fascinating to see what they prefer.

Ebony is definitely coriander

Belle is parsley.

Belle will eat dill but she didnt go mad for it - maybe an aquired taste :))

Back