Minerals

T&A

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Please can someone advise me on the different minerals (ie. Calcium, vitamin C) and what effect it has on guinea pigs? This is so i know if they need more/ less vitamin c, more/less calcium etc.
What effect does a lack of or excess of these minerals have on the guinea pigs?
Eg: Does it make them more/less active?

Lack of vitamin c causes scurvy. This is very rare and generally only occurs in guinea pigs who are not cared for and not fed properly.
Pellets are fortified with vit c and it is in every vegetable so you are highly unlikely to have any problems with vitamin c issues in a cared for piggy on a good diet.
Excess vit c is simply excreted in the urine.
Long term overdosing of vit c through supplementation can cause health problems. If the levels that they become used to through long term supplementation drops (even if the levels are consideres within normal levels for any other piggy) then that can cause a scurvy.

Excess calcium is excreted in the urine. This is normal and seeing patches of white powdery urine is not a problem provided it doesn’t happen a lot and the urine doesn’t feel gritty.
Too much calcium can lead to grit in the urine and formation of bladder stones.
Keeping pellets to just one tablespoon and filtering water is the main thing you can do here. High calcium veg such as spinach, kale and parsley should be kept limited - only small amounts and no more than once a week.
If a piggy had bladder stones symptoms such as pain when peeing and blood in urine would be present (however this is also the symptoms of a simple UTI). Stones would need to be excluded via scans and x rays when symptoms are present. Usually a UTI is treated first though.

Feeding too little calcium can also cause white urine. The balance gets knocked out the other way.

Feed in accordance with our diet guide and you won’t go far wrong.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Ok perf. I have noticed in my cage some red spots on the fleece, i wonder if that could be blood? He was at the vet yesterday and is on .4ml enrocare x2 daily and .2ml anti inflammatory meds. There is no red on the puppy pads underneath though

Ok perf. I have noticed in my cage some red spots on the fleece, i wonder if that could be blood? He was at the vet yesterday and is on .4ml enrocare x2 daily and .2ml anti inflammatory meds. There is no red on the puppy pads underneath though

Your piggy has been diagnosed with a UTI, so what you are seeing is not unexpected.
It might be blood, it might be porphyrins which is a natural dye in the urine (it may or may not contain blood though - only the vet testing the urine will tell you whether blood is present) and is common at the start of a UTI.

To clarify, a UTI is not caused by an imbalance in the diet. It is caused by faecal bacteria getting into the urinary tract and bladder.

Yes, it’s almost a layer on top of the fleece - i mistook it for pepper ( I’m pretty sure it isn’t pepper as that was fed last night and i noticed this today!)

It isn’t visible on camera because of the tan colour of the fleece and it seems to have wiped off quite a bit

It isn’t visible on camera because of the tan colour of the fleece and it seems to have wiped off quite a bit

If you think it may be blood and want to check then put him on something white. Blood dries quite distinctively.

He is on antibiotics though so they need a few days to kick in.

i don’t think there’s any more blood after putting him on a white blanket for his medication. Does enrocare offer pain relief?

i don’t think there’s any more blood after putting him on a white blanket for his medication. Does enrocare offer pain relief?

At the start of a UTI symptoms can be inconsistent - some pees may contain blood, others won’t.

No - Enrocare is an antibiotic.
The meloxicom is the pain killer

Ok thank you - he hates the meds it’s impossible to give him them, any tips to make it easier?

Ok thank you - he hates the meds it’s impossible to give him them, any tips to make it easier?

Most antibiotics do not taste nice.
Best thing is to syringe it in and then offer him something nice to take the taste away

Yes that’s what I’ve been doing
Hopefully it will become easier

Back