Milo and stitch

Tnoz

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi all, hope your well
I’ve had my boys since February and never had any issues with them, I’ve got up a few mornings to find that Milo has got marks on top of his mouth under his nose, he’s still able to eat and drink and is acting normal, I just don’t understand what is causing this, nothing has changed, they are around 20 months old, any suggestions thanks

Hi. What sort of marks? Can you post a photo? Are they scratches from his mate or do they look like cold sores?

Cold sores? Do Guinea pigs get those? I’ll get a picture when I get him out he’s sleeping right now

No but chelitis looks like them.

Without a photo I’m thinking wounds, chelitis, dried semen or dirt.

No but chelitis looks like them.

Without a photo I’m thinking wounds, chelitis, dried semen or dirt.
Hmm maybe, their enclosure is cleaned regularly, could it be from the hay? What can I put on it to ease it?

If they have had a scuffle then of course little wounds is a possibility.

Cheilitis looks like little scabs. Cheilitis is when bacteria gets in cracks in the skin. The cracks can be caused by feeding acidic items such as fruit and tomatoes.
It can be a very serious issue. If you suspect cheilitis, you need to get him to a vet.

We can only guess, and you would need a see a vet for diagnosis

Hi all, thanks for your replies, it seems that it’s not anything nasty, I think my two boars can’t live together without having a divider in the middle, stitch has always been the dominant one since getting them in February but he has become a bully, wouldn’t leave Milo alone even when he was sleeping, so now Milo can rest without being chased or injured, they both have their own sides now, I can relax knowing that stitch won’t be hurting Milo from now on. Keep yas posted

It’s sad when they decide they don’t want to live together nicely.

It’s sad when they decide they don’t want to live together nicely.
I know, I’ve noticed this for four weeks since we got back from boarding, they said they were fighting there, just put it down to change of enclosure, even though things haven’t been good I’ve only noticed the slight wounds over the weekend so decided enough is enough can’t risk any further injuries or even worse , they seem to have accepted the divider and it’s been quiet.

Yes the changed environment could have caused a shift in the hierarchy. 😢

Back