• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

might sound stupid

• Thread starter Thread starter tawny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tawny

i was cutting my girls nails the other night :( it was my first attempt, i was terrified but i read the post on nails and of i went and was really quite pleased with myself and the job i was doing.

one of my younger girls has lovely pink pads at the front, on the outer sides of the foot was what looked like a piggie poo ? i tried to wash it a way but it didn't move and when i looked at her other foot there was one on there to. i was gentle but wary of rubbing or pulling at it. it really does look like piggy poo. but seems to be attached at one end.... :(

none of my other girls seem to have pink feet with a dark bit on..........

any body any ideas?

I know what you mean. There is a name for it but I can't remember. It is like a really hard bit that just grows in a long thin shape? If it sounds like this, it is harmless and you can trim it off fairly close to the pad, obviously make sure you don't catch the pad, with some nail clippers.

that sounds scary, i thought doing nails was bad enough. so it's not normal then. thought i was going mad, convinced myself it was poo :) but they are really hard. thanxs for quick answer. what happens if yo don't cut them off? :-\

Sounds like a callous, in some guinea books it says that you can trim them, but I'm too scared!. One of my pigs has them & apparantly if they're on the side of the foot & not huge they're ok to be there.

tawny said:
that sounds scary, i thought doing nails was bad enough. so it's not normal then. thought i was going mad, convinced myself it was poo :) but they are really hard. thanxs for quick answer. what happens if yo don't cut them off? :-\
I think the only thing you have to worry about if you don't cut them off is that they don't grow into the foot atall and that they can't get them caught. Have a go at just cutting the very end of it off.

got to take squeake to vets next week so think i might get sukie feet looked at then. will take photo of feet then we can keep it on site for ref mayb, once i'm sure what they are :)

It's a spur - is just dry skin really.

A few of my boys have them.

I just clip them off when I clip their nails - they are dead skin so they don't even feel it being done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back