Midges

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggie smitten

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, yesterday while I was at work my OH was here but working out in the garage and the patio doors wre open into the lounge where the pigs are and when he came in there were loads of little flies like midges all over the boys cage and all in the hay and everywhere. Does anyone know how to prevent them without putting a net over the doors as we're in and out all the time and it would be a bit of a pain. Is there anything they would find offputting that wouldn't bother the piggies as at the moment we're just having to keep the doors shut! This has never happened before.

Well I think the main problem there that any preventative with not just kill the bugs may just cause problems with your pigs,netting over the cage could be an option or putting them in another room for the day ?
Please keep in mind to look up what type of midget your dealing with as at the moment I am not sure what the consequences are all the best
Astrid x :)

I have the same problem with my pigs who are outside, but I found that by cleaning the hutch out throughly, with pig safe spray and scrubbing it each week prevents the majority of flies. Also by making sure poop is collected or covered with fresh bedding also helps. Another trick I have used is lining the roof and outside of the hutch with a couple of pieces of fly tape. It's really cheap and although it isn't that aesthetically pleasing it works a treat. You could do the same with a cage or hang some strips nearby, just make sure it's well out of the piggies way. Hope this helps:)

I have 3 or 4 fly papers hanging up in my shed, I change them once a week, it only costs me £1.50 for a six pack of fly papers, so well worth it for peace of mind. ;)

There's a product recently I discovered sold by gorgeous guineas that you dilute with water and spray around their cage area which is supposed to help keep flies away. I haven't tried it yet as it arrived just as we went away in hols.

Hi, thanks for your replys, so far we haven't had a repeat occurrrence but if we do I'll certainly try the fly papers. I already do a poo pick up at least 3 times a day so don't think its the poo attracting them. We have had midges in the house before we even had the pigs so I suppose its just part of living in the country. I'd be interested to hear if the spray from gorgeous guineas is any good though.

Maybe put some midgie repellant in a dish and put it near the piggies cage? also JML or QVC have a net curtain thing that has magnets in it so you just push it open and then it closes itself behind you, maybe that would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back