• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Metacam ‘on food’ meaning

kr1s_piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this forum and I just have a little question to ask. My Guinea pig: Bella recently had an injury and her paw is hurting. We took her to the vets today and she got prescribed with metacam. On the subscription, it says that I need to give her 0.3 mls once daily ‘on food’. She is currently eating a lot like normal, but I’m not sure whether to syringe feed her before giving her food or after giving her food or whether to syringe the metacam on the food. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Many thanks.

This is odd! It is easier to just syringe the correct amount if metacam directly to your piggy. I have never been told to add it to food. It could run off etc and then your piggy will not be getting the correct dosage.

Luckiky metacam tastes nice (if you’re a piggy!) as is usually willingly accepted.
For some medication, (antibiotics for example) tastes awful and if you add it to food, then you will quickly find a huge battle forming in getting medication and food into a piggy.

This is odd! It is easier to just syringe the correct amount if metacam directly to your piggy. I have never been told to add it to food. It could run off etc and then your piggy will not be getting the correct dosage.

Luckiky metacam tastes nice (if you’re a piggy!) as is usually willingly accepted.
For some medication, (antibiotics for example) tastes awful and if you add it to food, then you will quickly find a huge battle forming in getting medication and food into a piggy.
Ah okay! Yeah I think maybe I’ll syringe feed her and then give her some food after. Thank you for your reply!

If you’ve not had to syringe meds before, then we have a guide in the health and illness section entitled ‘All about syringe feeding and medicating‘ Which may help with tips on getting medicine into piggies - although as I say metacam tastes nice so it isn’t usually difficult once they realise it’s nice! I would normally add a link to it in this post but we are currently experiencing some technical issues in linking guides in.

I think giving Metacam on food is more of a dog and cat thing.
For guinea pigs is is usually better to just syringe it straight into their mouth.

just be careful - once they realise how nice it tastes they may try to grab the syringe and run off with it!
I hope Bella's paw is better soon.

2 of my Rainbow Piggies were on long term Metacam and I trained them to come to the bars of the hutch when I said "Medicine" It didn't take them very long to figure out what it meant. In the end they were both Metacam junkies. Here is Silver Fox Christian asking for his.

Back