• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Metacam dosage *need help*

mexiguineapigmother

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has a bladder stone and he was prescribed metacam. He had this before with his previous vet who was cavy savvy. We are now seeing a new vet because our old vet only does surgeries as of now. This new vet prescribed metacam, however I am not sure about the dosage. We are being told to give him 0.3 ml ONCE a day for pain. He was still speaking in pain so we called and asked if we could get a higher dose or give it to him more than once a day. She said no because it could cause liver problems which I've heard is not true and in the past with our old vet I'm pretty sure we gave him more than 0.3 ml once a day so honestly I'm very confused.
I'm posting here because I would really like to be able to give him more because he is in pain when he pees and doesn't lay comfortably often. We plan on seeing a new vet soon, but I would like to do something about this now. Does anyone have an experience where with metacam where they gave them more than 0.3 ml ONCE a day and if you recommend doing more? If so, how much should I give and how often?
He currently weighs approximately 910 grams and is 5 years old.

I'll attach some pictures of the label on his medication so you can get a better idea.

Attachments

• 20220301_175912.webp
    20220301_175912.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220301_175832.webp
    20220301_175832.webp
    87.5 KB · Views: 14
I’m afraid as we are not vets we can not legally tell you what dosages to give in your particular case.

What we can say is that you are right in they piggies can have more than that amount and they can have it twice a day but we cannot tell you the amount to give your piggy, only a vet can do so

Good luck with finding a cavy savy vet. It must be so frustrating not getting the right care for your piggy. I hope they are soon on the mend.

yes I agree, piggies have such a high metabolism my vet always prescribes does to be taken twice a day, good luck, hope yo7 can find a piggie savvy vet x

My 5 year old boy is 1.35kilo and takes this twice a day for his arthritis. He lives indoors. Our syringe has different units but it works out just over 0.3ml morning and evening. This last vet I spoke to said we could combine the doses for about 0.6ish once a day or split it for 0.3ish twice a day - we've actually tried both and I took my lead from George so he's currently on the split dose. Right now he's not too stiff so at his check up last week I asked about reducing it any further and she said not to as this is a pretty low dose anyway. He'll be on it for the rest of his life... however long that is 💕

However, your piggy is a bit lighter and we don't know what other issues he might have which is why we can't say he'd be OK on higher. He might be one of those pigs that can live till 8 or 9 or this might be his last year - I think if you speak to the vet again and say that you understand her fears of creating more problems but that basically he needs to be comfortable now or what's the point.

I've had pigs with stones but every time we've found a stone it's been because I've taken them in with pain peeing symptoms - and they've always had a UTI. They get antibiotics and an x-ray to check for stones... some have come back positive. Has your vet also prescribed him antibiotics? Or have they just seen a stone on x-ray and assumed that is the source of him immediate discomfort. If you've not had a course of Ab it's worth asking - yes, they can mess up the digestion of some pigs more than others but UTI doesn't go away on it's own. If you also search this site for people who are supporting their piggies with bladder problems with glucosamine supplements (these are food supplements so do not need a prescription) these may help in the longer term... they take some time to start to make a difference to an inflamed bladder. Has the vet suggested surgery? Or do they think your lovely boy is a bit old...

You are absolutely correct, and I would find/call a more cavy savvy vet to work out a higher, more appropriate dose for your piggies needs.

I recently changed up the dosage on the advice of my vet after he spoke to the new exotics locum at the practice and my 1200g sow is now having from 0.8ml - 1.2ml of 1.5mg/ml (dog) metacam TWICE per day. I had previously had her on 0.4ml twice a day which did barely anything, so 0.3ml just the once per day really won't be doing very much at all sadly.

If you can't find anyone to increase the dose for you, it may be worth requesting a second and/or 3rd pain killer be added in, my own either have or have had paracetamol, buprenorphine and/or gabapentin alongside metacam, they can also have tramadol too, depending on what your vet is comfortable prescribing.

I do agree with everyone else.
Metacam can (and should) be given twice a day and the dose your boy is on is already very low.
At the rate it's being given I doubt it is doing much at all.

I also sometimes see a general vet, and if in doubt about dosages she always does a quick literature search to check.
It is a shame your vet doesn't seem willing consider that the current information may be different to what they already know, but it is good you will be seeing a more piggy savvy vet soon.

Back