• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Metacam continuous use

DianaTheGuineaPig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey guys! What is your experience using Metacam daily in your guinea pigs? Did you report any problems? I would ask my vet.

I’ve had several piggies with long term health conditions eg arthritis who have needed Metacam daily. I’ve not had any problems, but it’s important to know why you would want or need to give it daily.

Tive vários porquinhos com problemas de saúde de longo prazo, por exemplo, artrite, que precisavam de Metacam diariamente. Não tive nenhum problema, mas é importante saber por que você deseja ou precisa administrá-lo diariamente.
My guinea pig Diana has a tooth root hurting her jaw. Currently the treatment is with a weak analgesic. I believe she needs stronger medication. We are using cannabidiol too, but without great success. So I thought I'd suggest the continued use of metacam to the vet. But I don't know if she would accept it, veterinarians are still very afraid to use this medication in the long term.

My guinea pig Diana has a tooth root hurting her jaw. Currently the treatment is with a weak analgesic. I believe she needs stronger medication. We are using cannabidiol too, but without great success. So I thought I'd suggest the continued use of metacam to the vet. But I don't know if she would accept it, veterinarians are still very afraid to use this medication in the long term.
My boar had metacam daily for 18 months for tooth root inflammation (pulpitis) pain. He was prescribed 0.4ml of dog metacam twice a day, he weighed about 1100g at the time.
He was 6 years old when he started having it. I've heard that some vets think long term use can shorten the lifespan, but I and others who have used it longterm think it better that their guinea pig is comfortable and happy for the rest of their life , even if it is a bit shorter.
(I don't know how they can work out that it shortens life when healthy guinea pigs' lifespans are so hugely variable anyway.)

I've currently got 6 on longterm metacam, one has been on it for at least 3 years, could even be 4 years now. They get from 0.6-0.8ml twice a day of dog metacam, weight depending. I personally haven't noticed any issues, I have one who can't have it due to an ongoing digestive issue (metacam can sometimes make digestive upsets worse) and another who doesn't get it due to likely kidney failure so has gabapentin instead, but the others who are on it range from 2 to 8 years old, from fragile little lethal whites to chunky boars with osteodystrophy.

It's definitely safer to use longterm than previously believed, especially compared to lots of other species, and any minor effects are better than the effects of longterm unmanaged pain. I hope your piggy is feeling better soon!

Both my RB boys Eric and Larry were on metacam long term, my house bunny Miley has been on it for years at quite a high dose for dental issues as well and we've had no problems ☺️

I have had 3 piggies on long term Metacam. Mavis was on it for over 3 years and lived to be 7 years old. Peggy has been on Metacam for 2.5 years and is over 7 years old and Dora has been prescribed it for almost 2 years and is 6 years old (old for a skinny pig). Generally it has been prescribed for arthritis but Mavis had a bladder problem which the Metacam kept under control.

None of them has had any additional health problems caused by the Metacam.

Glad to hear that Diana now has better meds to control her pain. I have a piggy on Gabapentin and Metacam for her arthritis pain and it works really well. It can occasionally cause drowsiness in some piggies so just keep a look out for this.

Back