Messy Piggy Pee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if this is normal? Coconut and Hazelnut both have pee soiled private parts. I gave them a bath, but I was wondering if this is normal? And what do I do? Just keep on giving them baths? :help::ple:

Unless anyone has any clue if that can signal medical problems depending on symptoms, it can be perfectly normal. Depending on the type of breed, long haired breeds are known to get baths monthly or every two months, so that would be fine. I honestly only bathe my guinea pigs two to three times a year unless they're dirty. A "butt bath" is sufficient, just make sure they're dry. You could also use a warm, wet cloth.

Do you even need to bathe them once or twice a year if they aren't dirty? I'm just wondering for myself.

I agree with what the above person said, if they're wet because they aren't feeling well enough to move. I would say that's a problem. Mine pee in their beds ect. But I have never felt their bodies to be wet. But if they have long hair that's a whole diff story from what I hear.

I want a long hair so bad, but then I read about the upkeep and I'm like yeah maybe not lol.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

By dirty I meant if something was in their fur that would get out by bathing. The baths are for fur that's unclean. Sorry if I didn't phrase that right. ^^

But they are gorgeous. I managed to get a guinea pig that had a mohawk:D

By dirty I meant if something was in their fur that would get out by bathing. The baths are for fur that's unclean. Sorry if I didn't phrase that right. ^^

But they are gorgeous. I managed to get a guinea pig that had a mohawk:D
Okay so if my pigs never get dirty or stinky there is no real reason to give them a bath right?!?

Thanks

Opinions about baths differ widely. The Americans have a culture where hygiene and baths are much more important and are considered an integral part of pet keeping. On the other hand you have the Germans where bathing is not at all recommended due to the stress.
How much you bathe lies realistically somewhere in the middle, as too many baths can destroy the natural skin protection and no baths at all can attract skin parasites like fur mites/static lice that live specifically on soiled hair or blow flies which cause fly strike (egg laid in the flesh which develop into maggots). There are also gender considerations; full boars tend to be messier than neutered boars or sows. And of course there are medical reasons for bathing (fungal or lice)!

Smooth haired piggies don't soil much whereas rough haired rex type piggies will attract dust and dirt more easily. Long haired piggies, whose hair keeps growing around the bum area, are soiling most quickly, especially when they pee on their long bum hair or are dragging it through a puddle; the most affected are the longhaired breeds that have originated with rex piggies. Their hair can act like a sponge. In that case, you either have to give regular haircuts and keep the bum area cut short or will have to give regular bum baths to keep the long hair from attracting pests.

Some boars also need more frequent bum baths, as they can be rather messy. Older piggies can lose the agility/mobility to clean themselves; they need regular cleans.

Most piggies clean themselves within a day or so, especially when they have been on the lawn where pee is not absorbed by the grass.
However, if your shorthaired girls are constantly wet then there is either a bedding issue (not enough absorbency) or they have a urinary tract infection/issue.

If you are mainly dealing with messy bums, a quick bum bath with hand warm water will often do the trick.

Personally, I bathe at need, either because a piggy is very dirty/soiled or there is a medical reason. Often I get away with a quick bum bath.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...inea-pigs-including-ears-grease-glands.47314/

Awesome info wiebke. I know some Americans over bathe their animals (I have a friend like that) so basically a bath once a year need it or not isn't going to harm them. I'm hoping to get them outside this fall as it's been much to humid this summer for them.

OMG botflies are the grossest thing EVER! When I was working in a clinic I had to take one out of the scruff area of a baby kitten (shudder). I will never forget seeing it come up for air :yikes:

Thanks everyone. So, a bum bath? How will I know if they have a UTI? How can I solve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back