Messy Guinea Pig

Jasicorn

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! My guinea pigs Spazz and Bruno always run around and kick poop and bedding EVERYWHERE and they crush the poop that stays in the cage! What should I do to end this mess?

This sounds like the normal mess that comes with having guinea pigs. What is your cage set-up? Having appropriate sized cage walls can help a bit with keeping most of the mess in the cage (as opposed to on the floor), but they will kick some out and some will fall out while cleaning the cage, etc. It is best to spot clean (poo pick from fleece and where ever else necessary) daily. Remove any wet bedding at least once per day. Full cage clean at least once per week. Regular cleaning keeps your pigs healthier, but will also cut down a bit on the mess. There are a lot of UK members with more experience than me, but given the time difference they are likely sleeping now. They will be along when they can and will hopefully have more advice for you.

:agr:
This sounds completely normal.
A high sided cage, or high enough correx walls if the cage is a c&c, can help contain disposable bedding, but it still won’t contain all of it; or switching to a fleece bedding will stop bedding from being kicked out.
Poop picking and removing wet patches, regularly regardless of the type of bedding, is necessary.

Sounds like pretty standard guinea pig behaviour to be honest!

How big is their cage?
When the mess is spread out over a larger area it can make life easier - to be honest I find the bigger the cage the easier it is to keep clean.

A lot also depends on the bedding you use. I found that with shavings more stuff got thrown around, and fleece has reduced that, but again it depends on the pigs, the cage size, and also whether they are indoor or outdoor piggies.

I have one clean piggy and one filthy piggy.

Dash poops everywhere and tramples it all over the place too. They have fairly high cage sides but poop is on the floor, it's on the bars 🤦
Spud on the other hand is far more civilised. There is a little pile in his house, the odd one by the water bottle and the majority in the hay tray - a far more respectable piggy.

Doesn't matter how I set the cage up on cleaning day, within minutes Dash's side looks like a poop bomb went off.

Back