• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Merlin seems off colour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all

Merlin has seemed a little off colour for a few days (bearing in mind I was poorly last week)

He seems a little withdrawn and doesnt seem to be woofing his food with the usual enthusiasm. He is eating though.
He is also weeing a lot.

Ive checked his mouth, bum and weight. Teeth (front) and poops normal

I wondered if he was miserable because he got no cuddles all last week and ive been away for the wheekend and left him with my husband and a few strangers. Maybe he didnt like the strangers or feels neglected or maybe he has the hump with me?

Or maybe he's caught germs from me after all before i realised i was poorly and he has caught a little himself?

Or maybe its something else

What does everyone think?

The chance of him catching something from you is quite unlikely as most diseases are species specific.

I don't know what it could be but I would monitor him closely.

It may be nothing & i don't wish to cause alarm but 2 of my piggies were acting like you describe Merlin's behaviour. They just didn't seem "themselves" is the only way i could put it.  Staying in their pigloos & not eating all their veggies yet they were eating hay.
Has Merlin lost any weight?
Both mine dropped a couple of oz's so off to the vets we went, neither showed any outward symptoms, nothing found with Hamish (apart from he had a mouthful of food) but Esme's chest sounded "muffly."
They've both been on Baytril the past week & are now back to their normal selves again  :) 

Maybe a visit to the vets for Merlin to check he's not brewing anything?

Yes love i agree with Niki, take Merlin for a once over by the vets, he might suggest a dose of Baytril.
Hope you're feeling better now, hugs from us for you :smitten:
Merlin we hope you feel better real soon, Duke sends you lots of manly piggie brrrrrr's for you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks all
I will do that. He doesnt seem to be dropping any weight at all but its best to be safe

Hope he is fine :) Keep us informed...good luck Merlin :smitten: :smitten:

Hope Merl is OK. My little girl is feeling soooo much better now that she's not on Baytril, it can make them feel under the weather too. Its worrying when they have 'off days' and there are no real symptoms, but you know that somethings not right.

I'll just let Dorte (my vet) give him a good once over and listen to his breathing etc and look in his ears etc.

You cant put a price on peace of mind

Just got back. Merls got a clean bill of health after a thorough examination.
The vet has given me short course of Baytril to be on the safe side. He is to take 0.2 once a day for 5 days.
She said this is a short course

Karen, based upon what you said I'm not sure whether or not to give it to him. (Ive lost my mobile otherwise id ring you)#

What does everyone think?

I don't know about the baytril but Niki said it helped her piggies...wait for another opinion XD

I'm glad the vet said he is fine :D Hopefully he will be back to him normal self soon :smitten:

Unless Merlin is back to normal,I would be inclined to give the Baytril.As you said ,it is a short course anyway.Give a probiotic,such as Avipro or Bio-Lapis and he should be fine.

The correct dose for Baytril is 0.4ml not 0.2ml.The latter is too low and will do no good.

As Mary says give a course of 0.4ml or its not worth doing at all. You're there and can judge what he's like :) Don't stop giving them even if there's no improvement, Calista had probiotics and was well under the weather, but the majority of mine take antibiotics fine. :)

karenrgpr said:
As Mary says give a course of 0.4ml or its not worth doing at all. You're there and can judge what he's like :) Don't stop giving them even if there's no improvement, Calista had probiotics and was well under the weather, but the majority of mine take antibiotics fine. :)

Esme & Hamish had 0.5ml for 7 days & are now back to eating all their veggies & wheeking again & neither had any probs with the ab's O0

Now I'm really confused!

She only gave me enough for 0.2 per day !

I thnk i might just give him the pro biotic if the baytril will be useless.

Give 0.4mls of Baytril per day for 3 days instead of the 5.,plus pro-biotic.If you think the Baytril has made an improvement contact the vet and ask for more(you could always say you dropped the bottle and wasted the Baytril)!.Yes,I know I should not be encouraging lies on a board read by children,but sometimes with the vetinary situation we have,you have to be crafty to get what you want for the piggies.

The other option of course is to find another vet and get a second opinion.

Oh dear i feel so so sorry for you this such a dilema :'( :'( :'(

All i can say is my past experience.... and i'm no expert as you know. I've found you need 2 doses per day, depending on weight but so far with all the ups and downs of weight probs i've found the happy medium has so far been no less than 0.3ml twice a day... with a probiotic (which we can't access, so use the yoghurt or similar here in OZ)

Paws crossed as i said, and am really hoping that the short course will work for you.... if not i'd have a chat with Vedra i wish i had a lady like that real close by me... i could have done with her experience many times.

Take care, will be thinking of you all, these are to help you all :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Re: Merlin seems off colour - UPDATE

So last night I gave him 0.4 and a probiotic but ithink it maybe wasnt necessary as he was POPCORNING to himself on the kitchen floor and looking for all the world like a new pig :)

I will carry on just in case but he seems to have turned a corner

Thanks all

Jenny & The Merlin :smitten:

Re: Merlin seems off colour - UPDATE

Billies Mum said:
So last night I gave him 0.4 and a probiotic but ithink it maybe wasnt necessary as he was POPCORNING to himself on the kitchen floor and looking for all the world like a new pig :)

I will carry on just in case but he seems to have turned a corner

Thanks all

Jenny & The Merlin :smitten:

Bless him :smitten:
Glad he's looking & obviously feeling better :)

I think so - he doesnt seem to like Mummy to have friends
He wants to be my only friend i think ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back