Memory

Tilly92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How long do guineas remember ? Asking as my girls have had a week away and they are quite subdued and not doing the things they were doing before their holiday

Mine usually recover from any disruption to their normal routine within a few days.
Food tends to work wonders.

After trips away our 2 boys usually get over their huffs within 24/48hrs. I think its just a telling off for leaving them, or the car travel. Sometimes I think they are just glad they haven't arrived at the vets!

How long do guineas remember ? Asking as my girls have had a week away and they are quite subdued and not doing the things they were doing before their holiday

Hi

There is nothing wrong with guinea pig memory but their prey animal instincts are obviously still on high. It is of course impossible to say for us whether whatever has triggered them has happened while they were away, during the journey or upon arrival in your home.

Please follow the very practical and simple tips in these guides here to bring them round; the tips are very effective because they work with and not against guinea pig instincts and social interaction:
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely

Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Tips For Organising Your Holiday Absence
All the best!

I had a pair of guinea pigs staying at a rescue for a few months and after several weeks, they put the phone into the cage on loudspeaker and I had an immediate reaction - and that was to a disembodied (to them) voice. They absolutely don't forget.

Food tends to work wonders.

Mmmm, food.

I had to take Squeaks to a new vet (Kim at the Cat &Rabbit Clinic) a month ago, when I got him out of the carry case he vibrated like an electric toothbrush in my hands, out of fear of the unfamiliar I guess. When I went back a month later, he didn't vibrate at all when I got him out. That certainly made me think he must have remembered the place and person, even though he had only been there once before :nod:

I think they have quite good memories. When a friend of mine who had looked after my piggies a few times but hasn't been around since covid started, came to visit last autumn, Billie and Tessy clearly recognised her. Even tough Tessy had only stayed with her once when she was quite small.
And they can certainly bear a grudge for quite a long time.

My Ted spent 3 months at Debbie’s over the course of lockdown so he could have his teeth done regularly by Simon at the Cat and Rabbit Clinic and I thought he had probably forgotten all about me and his previous life, but no. As soon as I picked him up he gave me his “welcome rumble” and he knew me straight away, it was lovely after all that time

Back