• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Meloxicam For Piggies

Devyn50

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I asked my vet for Metcam for Hamlets pain. Hamlet weighs 505 grams or a little over a lb. Vet had to order it. What came in was Meloxidy / Meloxicam.....for dogs only. I asked if this was the same type of med as Metcam. Was told it was and I could use it for piggies. Anyone used this med before and what's your opinion. Thanks

Yes it is the same drug, don't worry. We often have it.

Christian had Meloxicam for dogs which is Metacam. What dose did the vet say?

I asked my vet for Metcam for Hamlets pain. Hamlet weighs 505 grams or a little over a lb. Vet had to order it. What came in was Meloxidy / Meloxicam.....for dogs only. I asked if this was the same type of med as Metcam. Was told it was and I could use it for piggies. Anyone used this med before and what's your opinion. Thanks

It is the same; metacam is being sold under various brand names like meloxidyl, meloxicam or loxicom. They are all perfectly fine to use!

For guinea pigs it is better to use dog metacam than cat metacam; dog metacam is triple strength so you do not end up with a syringe full to give every time and needing a new bottle all the time if you have to give it for longer. Guinea pigs have a very fast metabolism, so they need more than cats or dogs compared to their weight, but they also tolerate quite large dosages well.

It is the same; metacam is being sold under various brand names like meloxidyl, meloxicam or loxicom. They are all perfectly fine to use!

For guinea pigs it is better to use dog metacam than cat metacam; dog metacam is triple strength so you do not end up with a syringe full to give every time and needing a new bottle all the time if you have to give it for longer. Guinea pigs have a very fast metabolism, so they more than cats or dogs compared to their weight, but they tolerate quite large dosage well.
Thank you for this info

Back