Meet Billy And Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

boreen

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my dads friends guinea pig had babies and he gave two to me, billy and bobby. They are both boys and I have a few questions..
1. How often should the cage be cleaned? Their bedding is snowflake shavings and I spot clean daily and they get plenty of time outside the cage to run around but there is still quitea bit of poo.
2. There is a bald patch behind bobbys ear it doesnt seem to be sore or itchy at all he is an abbysinian is this normal?CAM00181.webp

Boreen, you finally got piggies! I am very happy for you. They are beautiful boys.

All guinea pigs have a bald patch behind their ear. With shavings I am not sure as I use vet bed but I am sure somebody will answer that for you.

It is perfectly normal for pigs to have bald spots behind thier ears, my smudge is an aby and he has a bald spot behind his ears so no worries, I cant wait for pics of your piggies

You may find this thread here helpful in learning what is normal and what is not: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-body-quirks.58854/

However, I would keep an eye on the slight flakiness on the ear itself. it can be just dry skin, but it could also be caused by some mild fungal.

Shavings in an indoors cage you may want to at least change twice weekly to keep the smell down. You can research different beddings in our housing section, like washable fleece or vet bed.

Congratulations on your piggies! You know I paniced over that very same bald spot with our first piggy Putt, she was an Abby too and our current Abbyruvian has huge bald spots behind her ears. Any other questions just ask away. Looking forward to hearing lots more about Billy and Bobby.

As Weibke said just keep an eye on the ear itself and any more flakeness then get him looked at by a vet in case it is a mild fungal issue.

I have a guinea pig named Oliver that looks kind of like him.:)

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    78.4 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back