Meerkat Piggy

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old piggy who when nervous/defensive will sometimes turn into a meerkat. He puts his front feet together and makes himself as tall as possible.
I am wondering if this is so he can look as big as possible, or if he is looking out like a meerkat.

Does anyone else have a piggy who does this? In all my pigs I have never seen this, so I am interested to see if anyone else owns a part guinea-pig, part meerkat. In this video there was a bird walking on the roof of the garage and it makes a bit of a funny noise.
meerkat

P.S - Please ignore the towel under the fleece, it is a temporary fix as our puppy pad delivery was delayed. Also the hutch looks a mess because the pigs love to chew on everything, and there's not much I can do about it unfortunately.

Aww, some of my piggies used to do that- usually to check out a funny sound or smell, more often than not when they heard someone cutting up food...
Don't worry about the hutch by the way- if the piggies don't care it's messy, then the hoomans shouldn't worry too much either. :)
P.S. If my piggies were being really nosy they would sometimes lift both their front paws off the ground and balance on their hind legs!

He is on high alert, looking for and listening to what is making the noise incase it is dangerous.
This is what I thought, I feel bad that he happens to look very cute while doing it, but I do my best to calm him down when possible.

This is what I thought, I feel bad that he happens to look very cute while doing it, but I do my best to calm him down when possible.
I agree he does look very cute doing it! I wouldn't worry too much so long as he has a place to run to and hide in if he feels the need.

Some of mine will do this move, mainly if something smells strange. Tomie is cautious and does this a lot... she's really sensitive to smoke (probably instinctively!) and will have her nose as high as it goes if someone near us has a campfire or a BBQ.

Back