Measurements and Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Kiki42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiki42

I did some measuring in my room and the guinea pig cage can be 30 inches by 36 inches. Is this too small? I also have a few questions about bedding.

1) If you put blankets down, how often do they have to be changed? Do they get soiled very easily?
2) Does Aspen shavings work for them?

That's all I can think of for now, but I will let you know if I am questioning something else ;)

I have no idea about the measurements but the blankets question yes it will get dirty my piggy Digby lives inside at the mo you would think there were 5 piggies living with him with the amount of mess he makes but I do love him :smitten:

There are a number of things you could use to line your cage have a look at important topics at the begining of this section you will get a good idea what everyone uses ;)

I would say 30x36 is okay, bigger is always better but on the C&C website is says that is the size of a 3x2, and lots of people have cages that size.

Do you mean blankets for the everyday bedding? In my piggies C&C cage, there is a few layers of newspaper, a few layers of towel then a fleece blanket. This works great, the pee goes straight through the fleece and is absorbed by the towels/newspaper, leaving the top nice and dry. I then pick out the poos occasionally.
Aspen shavings are okay, a lot better than pine and cedar anyway. Are they dusty? I personally wouldn't use them because shavings are usually quite dusty and I've heard they can dry out the piggies skin.

(btw, C&C cage website incase you're interested - www.guineapigcages.com )

well u can make a ramp and a 2nd level for food or something so they have more room to play ;)

Rachel x said:
well u can make a ramp and a 2nd level for food or something so they have more room to play ;)

Yes but you'd have to consider the floor space that's taken up by the ramp/hole.

Thanks for all of your replies, I have decided to stretch out my space a bit, because if I am allowed I would like 2 pigs so they have a friend to play with. So how is 36 inches by 47 inches? Thank you for the information about the bedding too, that was very helpful! I think I will most likley be using Aspen and newspaper, so if it will dry out a piggies skin, is there a product that is recommended to help with this? Or does it just need more baths? Thanks again!

I think that 36" x 47" will be great :) I'm not too sure on the drying out skin question, I have just heard people mention it...hopefully you will get some replies soon :D

oh yeh sorry Amzii, forgot about that :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back