Mean People = Scared Pigs!

• Thread starter Thread starter PagePerdue09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PagePerdue09

Hey! I have a few questions on taking care of guniea pigs. Let me tell you how I got them first. I was helping someone deliver some furniture to a couple that had bought it and once we got to the house I noticed a cage in the corner of the house. I asked them if they had a pet or former pet (hoping I could buy the cage from them) and they said they had 2 guinea pigs. Well, they said they have had them since Feb of 06 and they havnt touched them, played with them, or let them out of the cage. So I felt horrible! I asked them if I could buy them from them but they gave me the two guinea pigs, cage, water bottle, hay, and food! So, here I am with guinea pigs and NO IDEA! I couldnt leave them there! Those people didn't pay them any attention! So, I cant even tell you what kind they are. All I can tell you is one if a long haired, gray and white guinea pig. Her/His (dont know what gender either) hair is sticking up everywhere! Its not matted, its just sticking up everywhere! Is there any way I could get the hair to lie down? They are really skitish. Everytime I try to handle them they run into there igloo house. But if I sit there for a bit, the short haired will come up to the cage and allow me to pick him up ( with a few shrieks ) Is that normal for them to make noise when I pick them up? It makes me feel like I hurt them. =( What do I put down as bedding? When I put them outside the cage to run around they just sit there scared! They have been eating and drinking so I am glad thats going good. I am going to PetSmart tonight to buy a few balls for them to run in and something for them to chew on. Anything else I need? If yall could just give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Firstly, congrats on your new piggies :D

Don't buy the balls for them, they probably wont use them and if they do they're dangerous! Piggies backs aren't meant to bend like that.

As for the guinea pig with "sticking up hair" some piggies are like that, I would tell you what they're called but I suck at piggy breeds ;) I'm not surprised they're skittish, they may take a wwhile to come round to you. It's pretty normal for the wheeks too, you wont be hurting him, he probably just doesn't want to be picked up and/or is scared, especially if he's not used to it. Bedding - no cedar or pine woodshavings, infact in general all woodshavings are not too good...I'm asuming your in USA - so Carefresh is good, some people use newspaper and hay, other people use newspaper, then towels, then fleece..it's all personal preference really. They need a constant suppy of hay and fresh water...they need veggies daily (once or twice a day) and need their dry mix/pellets too. They're probably scared in their run because it's a big open space they're not used to - put lots of places to hide, tubes etc around and they should venture out more. Also, sit nice and still so they're not scared. If you read around here you will find lots of good helpful advice ;)

dont put pigs in balls like hamsters they need to run free in a safe enviroment. I let mine run in my passage or in the living room in two playpens so they are free but cant injure themselves by chewing on wires or other dangers.

where r u? maybe there is someone close by who can come and sex your pigs. Mine sleep on newspaper, shavings, hay. They must have a constant supply of hay water and dried food. Veggies and fruit every day.

there will be someone on this forum who is more experienced who can tell you more. Send me a personal message if you want to chat.

give them lots of love care and tlc and they will be fine.

good luck

:) Congratulations on your new arrivals and Welcome to the forum :)
The long haired piggie may possibly be a peruvian, with all piggies it takes time. Just be patient and they will get used to you in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back