Maybe Rescuing Two Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamanthaLucy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm Samantha and i'm new to this forum. I'm thinking about rescuing two Guinea Pigs (a brother and sister) from a local animal shelter but wanted some advice first.

I was hoping to keep them in my bedroom for now and then move them out to the shed when the summer comes round. I'm lucky to have a large bedroom and can easily fit a 120 cm or possibly a slightly larger cage in my room but one thing that concerns me a little is noise. I have a large tv in my room which would sit quite close to the table i would put the piggies on and i'm concerned the noise of the tv would frighten them (although i don't have it on that loud!) also would things like a noisy hair dryer or a hoover bother them. I feel a bit daft asking these questions but it is something that worries me.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Samantha.

I'm not sure about the TV, but my pigs don't even flinch when I use the hairdryer or hoover. In fact, the hoover sends them into a popcorning frenzy because they associate it with getting a clean cage.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would not have the cage next to a TV as their ears are more sensitive then ours. In the same room is fine. Mine are scared of the hair dryer and hide but as I live in a studio I have no choice about that. They may get used to the hair dryer and hoover.

Please do not feel silly asking questions. It shows you care.

Hi and welcome!

Mine live in our living room and are OK with domestic noises once they got used to them. I would however not recommend having them right next to a tv as they have finer hearing than us humans. Or perhaps you can give them run time away from the tv when you have got it on?

Thank-you for your replies, you've been a big help. I guess i should have been a little clearer though regarding the tv. Although the table where i would place the cage onto is very close to the television their is roughly a 150cm gap in between. I'm hoping that would be enough space so the noise of the tv wouldn't affect them so much. It is definitely something i'll have to think about before i bring home any little rescues.

Hi Samantha It is really good that you are planning to rescue 2 guinea pigs. You say you want a brother and sister. Is the brother already neutered? If not you will have to consider arranging to have it done by a vet if the rescue centre do not do it before they are rehomed. Good Luck - guinea pigs are lovely interesting pets.

Hi! I happen to also have my piggie in my room also by a tv and she doesn't seem to mind it. Just try to start out with it lower than usual and gradually get to your preferred volume. It may take them a day or two to adjust to it, but I'm sure they will be fine! Or you could also try finding another spot to put the cage or tv to give it a little more space from each other. Hope I helped! Good luck!

I agree - is the brother neutered?

I used to have my guinea pigs in my bedroom before my parents allowed me to turn the spare room into a guinea pig room, the noise of the TV never used to bother them, things like hoovers and hair dryers may scare some pigs a little at first but they definitely get used to it after a while. I can't see a problem as long as they aren't too close to the TV! :)

Thank-you for your advice you've all been really helpful.
As far as i'm aware the brother has been neutered, but i will definitely check before bringing them home.

So pleased you are rescuing.Research c&c cages as you get more space for your money.There is a Thread on here with them on.Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back