• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

May have accidentally fed Alfalfa

SpookyBoy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My dad works on a farm and gifted me a bale of hay for Christmas. I forgot to double check and ask what kind it was. I’m going to ask in the morning but at the moment I’m worrying. What if I’ve been feeding my 2 year old piggies Alfalfa hay for the last 2 days? Will they be okay?

They'll be okay. Alfalfa hay is fine in small amounts, it's just not recommended for every day because it can have high calcium levels that can lead to bladder stones/sludge. A couple of days of eating it shouldn't hurt them. Heck, a lot of pigs probably end up eating it all the time their whole lives if the owners aren't springing for the timothy-hay based pellets, which cost more, at least where I live!

Back