• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Max is ill with diahrroea

• Thread starter Thread starter emilyj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emilyj

Max became ill with diahrroea yesterday. My boyfriend and I had been out most of the day yesterday and when we got back late last night we saw he had diahrroea and there was a very small amount of bloody/fluid in it. We had to take him to the emergency vets who gave him a baytril injection as well as fluids. We have got oral baytril and probiotics to give him. I am going to go out and get some diarylyte as soon as the shops open. I have also spoken to Vedra at the CCT about him. I have never had a pig with diahrroea before, but I have read how serious it can be. I am so very worried about him, we've only had him 5 weeks. Please send healing thoughts his way :'(

Aww it sounds like you are doing all you can.
Get well soon for mummy Max :smitten: :smitten:

Liquid Life Sph Supplies do this for rehydration. I haven't used it on mine but have heard good things about it. There are various things that will stop the diarrhoea but you need to find out the cause of it I think :)

Thinking of you :)

Hi Emily, sorry to hear about Max, sending healing hugs
talk soon
x paula x

Thanks for your messages - I do appreciate the well wishes.

The diahrroea seems to have mostly stopped, this I think was from the Imodium tablet we gave him (following Vedra at CCT's instructions), but he is not producing any hard poos. He is not really interesting in eating his dry mix (I have stopped vegetables) and seems quiet. We have been giving him critical care and diryolyte fluids all day which he has had taken without too much fuss. I will get a vet appointment in the morning. I am very worried about him :'(

Thanks for asking about Max, here is an update.

Max is producing hard poos again now, which is a relief, but I think he's finding this painful as he is squeaking whilst doing so. We are still syringe feeding Critical Care and fluids as he is not really interested in eating his dry mix or hay at the moment (I guess if he's in pain he doesn't want to eat). I took him back to the vet this morning, vet has examined and said for now we carry on with what we are doing and continue giving him his baytril, probiotics etc. He has had buscopan tablet for his pain too. Vet said Max does seem hydrated so we must be getting enough fluid into him for now, he also weighed him and said he is still a healthy weight at the moment.

Nothing we can do apart from carry on, I just hope that he perks up a bit more soon.

awwww poor Max. get better soon little one :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: hugs and kisses to you and Max. :smitten: :-*

I'm afraid Max has gone downhill since I last posted. Although we have been trying to give him fluids and critical care, he became very dehydrated throughout the day, as well as weak and generally not interested in taking anything we were trying to give. We took him back to the vets at about 6pm, the vet injected more fluids but nothing else he could do. He told us to take him back in the morning for more fluids. Vet does not know why he has taken a turn for the worst.

He is so very weak, I am so worried about him. We are still trying the CC and fluids and he takes a bit now and then but not much. I really thought he could be getting better this morning. Is there any possibility it could be baytril intolerance, I have just been reading about it on the internet? I asked the vet but he did not think so.

I'm sorry to hear he's not doing so well, Emily, sounds like you're doing a great job. You're right about the Baytril, it can be quite harsh on their tummies (it kills off the good bacteria as well as the bad) - is there another vet you could get a second opinion from? See if you can get your hands on some probiotics - either Bio-lapis from the vet or you can buy Acidophilus capsules at most pharmacies. This will work towards putting the goodies back in again.

With handfeeding you need to get quite a bit into him - you can be slow and gentle but be firm about it, too.

Fingers and paws crossed at our end for him.

hi emily, really sorry he has got worse, i was hoping he was getting back to good health, sending love and support
X paula x
Get well soon max xx

Thank you for your kind words.

Daftscotslass - we do have Bio Lapis and have been trying to get that into him. We are going to bring up the possibility of baytril intolerance when we go to the vet in the morning, if he will not consider it then we are going to try the vet that you use Paula.

I just pray he makes it through the night :'(

yes emily i would definatly ask for a different antibiotic too, I've heard that baytril is not always suitable.
I don't think I've ever asked but which vets are you at in Colchester?

Paula,

We never found a vet we liked in the area, but since Max has been ill we've been going to Colne Valley Vets near the Hythe - this vet was recommended by the emergency vet we saw Saturday night as he knew him to be a good guinea pig vet. It does say on their website his interest is exotics (guinea pigs come under exotics don't they? or do they?).

Will update tomorrow. xx

Oh love i've just read the updates on Max darn i was crossing our paws and really hoping for better news for you :'( :'( :'( :'(
Duke sends more piggie kisses and cuddles for Max to help him, i'm sending you hugs love cause i know what a rough time you're going thru :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

It's 4am, i'm sitting with Max. He is extremely weak, he will not eat or have fluids. I don't expect him to be here much longer. I am completely devastated, we've only had him for 5 weeks. I feel so alone. I can hardly bear to watch him like this but I won't leave him.

I know this is an awful thing to say but I don't know if I can go through this again with any of my other pigs. It makes me feel like I shouldn't be a pet owner, this is just too awful :'(

Max went to the bridge about half an hour ago, I held him until he left me. Thank you to everyone that posted and wished him well, your words were and are a comfort to me. I am devastated, I will miss him so much :'(

soooo sorry emily, i was hoping he would be better this morning, r.i.p max, i'm so sorry for your loss.
i still can't believe he has gone. you did everything you could you are a great piggie mummy emily.

I am so sorry you lost little Max, it was good that you could be with him at the end. Run free little one. Big hugs Emily.

Oh no Emily, I have been away and only just catching up with posts.

I am so so very sorry to read that little Max has passed on and know how utterly devastated you are feeling right now. Its so very difficult when piggies get a bad tummy like that, and like you I have lost a much loved pig that way. Its just so unfair and heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you on this very sad day.

Thinking of you.

Deb x

I am so sorry for your loss Emily.

I lost a pig myself overnight - have just come online to post about him now - so when I light a candle for him later on I will light one for Max too.

Give me a call or email if you need someone to talk to.

xx

Thank you for all the kind words, it really does make it easier to read them.

Kate, i'm sorry to read about Rory, I just had a look on the Rainbow Bridge board. Stewart and I appreciate your gesture of lighting a candle for Max. Thanks for your support, I will talk to you soon. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back