Matted Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my pigs, who I think is ridgeback, has medium length hair has somehow managed to get a mahusive matted tangle of hair around her bottom. Do I bathe and then brush or cut my losses and cut it out? If I cut it, will the hair grow back?

Cut it out carefully. Hold the fur close to the bum so it doesn't pull as you cut.

We keep our long haired girls bum fur trimmed short as matts do happen round that area.

Cut it out very carefully.It will grow back.Used to keep my ing haired girls trimmed short at the back.

Ditto the above! Sharp, round ended scissors recommended. If you have a wriggly piggy an assistant might come in handy to help. Sometimes several short sessions are less stressful on the guinea pig. I would also keep the back end short to avoid future tangles forming and for hygiene too.

Thanks everyone- at least I didn't waste my time trying to wash and brush it all out. Coco has now had her first bum haircut! I couldn't get all of the mattedness out as I was too scared to cut too close so I'll need another go when it's grown a bit. Just enjoying a calming cuddle now.

I have always just trimmed out the really matted areas. It grows back quickly and my pigs always HATED the process of getting brushed, so trying to tackle a huge knot would have been stressful for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back